airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I am trying to install a Honeywell wifi smart thermostat but

Customer Question

Hello I am trying to install a Honeywell wifi smart thermostat but I currently have a carrier infinity series with an abcd system. How do I label the wires to switch my thermostat over?
JA: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?
Customer: I am just trying to install my new Honeywell thermostat
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes, I currently have my faceplate off and am seeking how my wires should be labeled from the abcd wiring labels to a r,y,g,w labeling system.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: In the a wire socket I a green wire was connected. In the b wire socket a orange colored wire was connected, in the c socket a white wire was connected, and in the d socket a red wire was connected.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 1 month ago.

You can not use the Honeywell WI Fi thermostat with your system wired as it is. The Infinity is what is considered a "Communicating thermostat" which only has 4 wires (Two 24v power wires and two Data wires. The Honeywell requires at least 5 wires to furnace and two wires outdoors.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have five wires in my wall though. Wouldn't that be considered the C I require to use the wifi thermostat?

IN other words you currently have a communicating system and the Honeywell is a conventional thermostat. Some Infinity systems can be hooked up as conventional but you lose the Carrier Communicating ability.

If you want to do away with the communicating control, give me model on indoor and outdoor unit and I will verify if we cab do so.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I currently have a black, red, white, orange, and green. I attached a image.

Thanks for the pic. These terminals are totally different from the conventional as far as what they do.For example with the Honeywell R is power,W controls heat, G controls blower, Y controls outdoor unit, etc.

With the Infinity they are just 24v power and data transfer wires. Give me model on your indoor and outdoor unit. A picture of indoor with panel removed showing control board where thermostat wires attached would also be great.

I will stand by

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
After taking the whole unit off I found a black wire that was not connected.

Give me a few minutes to look over the pictures

Can you back up and get me a pic showing thermostat wires connecting air handler?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you speaking about the outdoor unit?

Actually both indoor and outdoor.

I am uploading a picture you can see what we are going to have to do to swap over to the Honeywell

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here are those pictures

We will do away with using the ABCD terminals and use the R,Y1,Y2,C,G and W1 terminals

So you will need six wires total between thermostat and air handler and 4 wires between air handler and outdoor

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
With this labeling system will the colors of the wires match this pdf? And if I only have 5 wires how do I make a 6th?

You will need to run a 6th wire or you can purchase a thing called a add a wire adapter for about 30 bucks.

http://smartthermostatguide.com/c-wire-venstar-add-a-wire-adapter-review/

AS for color of wires they can vary such as the wire you have that has a black in it that is not used. That black could go to any terminal as long as you have wired as shown. (Example If black connects to Y2 at thermostat Black would also connect to Y2 in outdoor, Yellow connected to Y1 at thermostat and yellow connected to Y1 in outdoor, etc)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i will not be able to run my system with just 5 wires?

Only if you get the add a wire Here is why each is important.

R is 24v hot

G controls indoor fan

W controls heat

Y1 controls first stage cool

Y2 controls 2nd stage cool

C is 24v common required for the Honeywell

There is one other work around and that is to give up the ability to operate fan in FAN ON mode.

In that case you steal the G wire, move it over to C at all locations, then add a jumper between Y1 and G in air handler so that fan is energized everything ac is called for.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for all of your help!

If you have further questions, please let me know.

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.

To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How much does it usually cost to have someone come out and install a 6th wire? How much would it cost to have someone come out to install the venstar add a wire since I am not positive what wire to where?

1. A technician would probably charge a couple hours labor (Maybe 120 bucks)

2.To add the add a wire probably an hour(60 bucks or so)

3.I am happy to guide you if you want to do it yourself

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is it very difficult?

Not at all

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
With the add a wire route will I have to mess with anything on my actual furnace? I apologize for all of these questions.

Do you see the control board where thermostat wires connect ABCD and do you see the convention terminals available R<G<W<Y<C?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There are no markings indicating the r,g,w,y, and c.

Tell me model on indoor.I never got it

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The model of the furnace or the thermastat?

Furnace

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The model number is ***** the attached photo

That is the ac coil. Furnace model will be inside top furnace panel above burners on right or left side.Something like 50NCA080TES

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am currently at Home Depot picking up a air filter. I will get back to you when I return home!

Sounds good

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
by purchasing the add a wire I am also noticing people buy the Honeywell wiresaver. Is this also necessary. I'll have to order the venstar on Amazon and it will take maybe until Tuesday for it to get here. I will contact you once I get home about the furnace model.

All you should need is the add a wire.Waiting on furnace model

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Have you seen or heard of Home Depot or lowes carrying the venstar add a wire?

I have not seen them but you could ask

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here is the model number!

Excellent. Now when you get ready to do this, you will remove the bottom furnace panel.Inside you will find the control board. THE ABCD connections where thermostat wires currently connect will be on top corner sort od to the left.Marked Communcation connector

You will be disconnecting these and we will be using the terminals down left side marked 24vthermostat terminals.