Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

An American Standard Freedom 80 I have in a rental started

Customer Question

An American Standard Freedom 80 I have in a rental started and produced heat and ran for about 3 minutes. The heat stopped and the fan kept running. I took the panels off and indicator light indicated "thermal protection device open." This switch was replace last November. It was open and has a breaker button which was tripped. Pushed the button in and back to normal for 3 minutes . This time I ran it with the panels off so am thinking switch is bad and interior was not too hot.
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: I shorted the thermostat wires. and the filters are clean.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I want to. I have substantial electronic experience so understand voltage and the like.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Where do I find information about the temp that trips the breaker. To determine if it is bad.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. I am looking over your question now and will respond shortly.

Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 month ago.

Are you referring to the flat plate on the front wall or the roll out switch at burner?