airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I'm looking for information about, or a replacement for a

I'm looking for information about, or a replacement for a Honeywell Minneapolis magnetic gas valve, v835a12dj7. The valve seems ok, but I think the coil has failed.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: 1day
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I'm comfortable with repair, been doing it a while, but don't often work with furnaces.
JA: Did you check the furnace's filters?
Customer: Filters are fine, furnace is clean of dust/debris, thermostat is good, transformer is getting power, leads to the existing coil also have power when the thermostat calls for it.

May be easiser to find by model on furnace.Do you have that number?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's an old Moncrief, I added a picture with the specs on it. Also a snapshot of the gas train.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I found an old repair manual and will take the coil off the valve and ensure that the mechanism is still working. A friend has suggested I just replace the train with an all in one. I'm comfortable doing the gas lines, I'd just need to know what all-in-one to get.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here is a close up of the valve. and Transformer.

Wow that is an old one. Not going to find anything by unit model (lol)

I did a bit of research on this yesterday after I started looking at it and it appears most of the answers or recommendations I came across was to go with the VR8300 combination valve.

I would look at it. It is a 3/4 inlet outlet but should come with 3/4 to 1/2 adapters in box.

https://customer.honeywell.com/en-US/Pages/Product.aspx?cat=HonECC%20Catalog&pid=VR8300M4406/U&category=Universal%20Gas%20Valves&catpath=0&rank=5&v1=Sort.1.Product.Rank&asc=1

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Old but not bad :) the heat exchanger is not cracked (yet), and the fan motor was replaced not too long ago.Thanks for the link, I did some browsing at SupplyHouse and am curious about a few things.If I wanted to, would this valve be correct. (no reason for me to need the 5psi version, right?)
http://www.supplyhouse.com/Honeywell-V4295A1015-Solenoid-Normally-Closed-Gas-Valve-1-2-NPT-Pipe-Size-2-PSI-RatedCost difference isn't that much (~$30), so I'm more likely to just replace everything with the all in one that you sent. I expect I could use the same transformer with the all-in-one, or do I need to replace that to?

That should probably work.You may have to adjust or change the regulator to match .As for the transformer, there should be no reason to have to replace it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Adjusting the regulator is not something I've done. Where/how would I do that? and would I need something to measure pressure?

Some are adjustable and some are set from factory.I would be lying if I said I knew you could adjust yours.If adjustable there will be a screw under a cap that can be turned. You would need a manometer to adjust .

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Well, there's something I don't have. Maybe I need a new gadget :) Anyway, to finish this discussion up. In the picture that I attached IMG_2028 above, which is the regulator? I'm assuming its where the pilot tube comes out of, on the left, ahead of the gas valve.Should I have a manometer anyway even if I go the all-in-one route? and where would I find what the pressure should be?

1. See pic below for regulator

2. Using the all in one would eliminate need for the manometer as the regulator is built into the valve to automatically regulate pressure.

3. Valve will have some removable plugs for attaching manometer

Regulator

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for all your help. Should I wait to close this discussion until I do the repair?

You can rate now and follow up for an additional 30 days at no charge. Unless we talk daily question will time out.If you intend to do in next day or so, you can leave open.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you, you've been very helpful!

If you have further questions, please let me know.

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.

To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page.