Airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.

Cool on just flashes. The ac quit a couple days ago / just

Customer Question

Cool on just flashes.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: The ac quit a couple days ago / just didn't turn back on. The fuse had popped for the contactor (in the ac unit and needed to be replaced) I replaced it, and still can't get the ac to run via thermostat. I can bypass the contactor and ac runs fine other than I have to hold it lol. Heat and fan work. But when switched to cool it just flashes "cool on" and never does anything else. I left the batteries out for an hr, got the same result.
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: The settings? Filters are fine. The thermostat only has up down and fan auto / on and the cool heat or off button
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yea
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I don't think so. No breakers have popped and everything else works. Just flashes cool on and never changes
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Airheatman replied 7 days ago.

The flashing is a time delay.Lets allow it to flash for 5 minutes and see if it turns solid cool and comes on.If not we will go from here.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
throws the 3 amp fuse everytime
Expert:  Airheatman replied 7 days ago.

OK will fan run without blowing fuse in FAN ON position?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Expert:  Airheatman replied 6 days ago.

OK that tells us we have a short in the control circuit to the outdoor unit, in thermostat or wiring in between.If you can get some extra fuses and want to troubleshoot this by trial and error, I will be happy to guide you.About the easiest way to find the short is eliminating one possible cause at a time until we find what is blowing fuse.

Let me know and we will go from here.