Airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.

Pool heater question, I have a HP11002 model pool heater

Customer Question

pool heater question
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: I have a HP11002 model pool heater about 11 years old. Last time I turned it on (live in Fl) yesterday, it ran then stopped. I noticed a LP on the temperature gage area. Later it started and ran however the water was only slightly warm. You could tell it was warming the water some but it just barely felt warm coming out (we have a waterfall). Low refrigerant?
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: Just noticed it, we haven't run it much , I live in Florida.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If I can I would like to, I don't have any gages but would be willing to buy them if needed.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not really, I turned it off last time before what ever sensor shut it down. When I first noticed it, the unit was trying to start up which surprised me since I had just turned it on to heat the pool an additional 5 degrees. It tried to start then stopped. I turned it off for 20 minutes. It started then but did not appear to be heating the waterfall water much. It finally increased the pool (7500gal) 1 degree after what I thought was a long time so I turned it off.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: What is the next step?
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Airheatman replied 9 days ago.

Next step would be to check the charge and see if perhaps it is low on refrigerant.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
how do I do that, I figured this much
Expert:  Airheatman replied 9 days ago.

The LP message is an indication of low refrigerant pressure

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I read that also, how do I go about checking this?
Expert:  Airheatman replied 9 days ago.

You will need a manifold gauge set to connect to the heat pump. Do you have these?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No, but if they aren't too expensive I might be willing to purchase some, If it is too low will I be able to charge it myself?
Expert:  Airheatman replied 9 days ago.

You are most likely going to have to pay a tech to charge the system as you need an epa certification to purchase refrigerant. The gauges are about a hundred bucks.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Expert:  Airheatman replied 9 days ago.

If you want to get the gauges and check charge I am happy to guide you, but as noted unless you have the certification, you would still need to pay a tech to come and repair leak then recharge.

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.

To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page.

Leaving a poor service rating will not automatically refund your money,but reflects poorly on your expert. You have to request a refund if not satisfied with the information provided being accurate.