Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a Burnham LE2 with a VERY strange problem. The boiler

Customer Question

I have a Burnham LE2 with a VERY strange problem. The boiler quits and has to be "manually" started by pressing the red button on the primary controller Honeywell R7184 A. The green light on the controller flashes at 1/2 second intervals.The Aquastat was recently replaced because it seemed to be working intermittently only. Then as an abundance of caution, the cad cell assembly was also replaced. The boiler quits after the first cycle in reaching the set temperature in the aquastat.Could there have been a power surge that damaged the primary controller to the point that makes it behave that way?Anything else that I could check?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

If the burner locks out and you have a new ignition control and cad cell (including a new socket) then the burner is probably out of adjustment. What do you have fr a burner?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The burner is a Beckett AFG on diesel oil. I have yet to confirm whether the burner quits right after satisfying the heat demand from the Aquastat every time or does it first run a few cycles before quitting. If the boiler would be out of adjustment would it quit right after heating the water to its high set point satisfying the heat demand from the Aquastat?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

If the burner was out of adjustment it wouldn't fire up, it would lock out on the attempt to fire after the boiler temp dropped enough for the burner to fire up again.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

do you have more questions?