Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a Rodgers 1F80-361 Thermostat. For some reason the

Customer Question

I have a White Rodgers 1F80-361 Thermostat. For some reason the temperature readout is always dropping below the actual temperature of the room. I checked the levelling of the thermostat, used some compressed air on the circuit board, changed the batteries and reset the whole thermometer. It resets to 70 degrees but then drops down to 59 degrees
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** will be my pleasure to assist you. When you push the up and down buttons what are those numbers?

Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 month ago.

you may be seeing the set point and not the room temperature. it may be set at 70 or 59 vise versa and when you reset it the thermostat will show the temp. and not the set point then goes to showing the set point which is 59. Turning the thermostat to off will show just room temp. turning it on it may cycle back and forth through the room temp and the setpoint.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Good thought, but no. Even with it set to off, I still see the (wrong) temperature displayed. And I can't adjust it like I can the desired setting read-out.
Other thoughts?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Tried to use the Phone option but didn't work...
Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 month ago.

i saw that but we can continue here if you want

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How do we chat online?
Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 month ago.

just like we are now

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
yeah. this is fine talking online.
Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 month ago.

okay

Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 month ago.

did you read my earlier post ?

Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 month ago.

you may be seeing the set point and not the room temp.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I saw your earlier your post. I can most definitely assure you that I wasn't confusing the set point with the actual room temperature.
Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 month ago.

So if you are sure then what is possibly happening is the thermostat is reverting to the program in it. What you will need to do is program it or set the temperature to the setpoint you want and press the hold button on the stat then it will hold the temperature you set it at and not revert to the program.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I reset ( rebooted) the thermostat. wouldn't that clear all programs ( as well as time etc.) so it could not revert?
Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 month ago.

it will go to a default program in the thermostat

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
To clarify: It is the actual ROOM temp readout that is showing incorrectly. The Desired-Temperature-Setting read out shows fine.I have a digitial thermomenter with me. It shows the room at 72 degeres. The Room read-ou tis 55. The heat/cool/fan is off so it doesn't even show the Desired-Temperature Setting read-out.
Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 month ago.

okay you can only calibrate it 4 degrees up or down so even calibrating it is not going to help. Try taking the batteries out and let the display go completely blank this wil take a few minuntes then reinstall the batteries and see if the tem is correct. if this doesnt work it may be the thermostat may need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Already changed the batteries. : (
Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 month ago.

i dont mean change the batteries taking them out and leaving them out till the display is blank for a few minutes should reset the thermostat.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Alas, no luck. Every time I reeboot/remove batteries/etc.. It starts at 70 degrees and then quickly drops
Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 month ago.

its sounds like the temperature sensor in the thermostat is bad. you will need to replace the thermostat.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
okay, thanks.
Expert:  Heath.M replied 1 month ago.

you are very welcome have wonderful evening.