Airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.

I just changed batteries in my thermostat. The LCD display

Customer Question

I just changed batteries in my thermostat. The LCD display is not in full view. Help.
JA: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?
Customer: Something related to the changing of the batteries. I used 2 dbl A, alkaline as instructed and my equipment was fine prior to this change.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Provided it is something simple.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I don't think so.
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Airheatman replied 11 days ago.

What is model on thermostat and are you sure the new batteries are actually good? Did you try more than one set of batteries?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Honeywell Pro TH4110D. Yes, just purchased new w/expiration of 12/2025 and did try others in pkg.

There is one trick I have seen work to reset these digital thermostats that works sometimes. That is to remove batteries and install them backwards for 5 seconds, Then remove and install properly,If this does not reset the little computer board in the thermostat you will need to replace the thermostat.

Note: Occasionally , this will not work and will even cause thermostat to start smoking.If so simply remove batteries.If thermostat is not working already, it is worthless anyway, so no harm done .I have seen it work about 20 per cent of the time. So if that is something you are comfortable doing would try it.Could save you having to buy another thermostat.Otherwise, just go ahead and replace it.