airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I have a trane xr13 heat pump. Fan is running but compressor

Customer Question

I have a trane xr13 heat pump. Fan is running but compressor will not start. Getting a LRA reading. Run capacitor checked out ok.. Could the problem be the start capacitor or start relay?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 7 months ago.

It is possible.Do you have a capacitance meter to check the start cap?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i do not.. i had a tech look at it and he checked the run capicator and it was ok. then he said it was pulling LRA and that the compressor needed replacing. The unit (Trane) also has a factory start cap with a relay that he did not check.. i just want to make sure its not causing the LRA reading if it or start cap or relay are faulty.

The start cap can be the issue.Without checking it we are guessing.You may indeed need a new compressor but it should not be condemned until the start cap and relay are verified to be within parameters.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the start cap or start relay could cause the compressor to not start even though the run cap is ok? And it could also cause the LRA readings from the compressor?

Absolutely.Some Trane compressors do not require the start kit, but on those that do, it is absolutely necessary to boost the compressor off.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
LRA does not mean the compressor is locked up?

LRA simply means the compressor is drawing LOCKED ROTOR AMPS.

On this compressor that is probably over 100 amps. If compressor is mechanically seized or does not get enough jolt to crank it up, iy will draw Locked rotor amps. Again, he may be right that it is seized, but the start cap should be verified first before condemning compressor.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
im going to get a meter to check the start cap.. whats the best way to check the start relay?

Give me full model on the unit.The XR13 is a series