Airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.

Outside temp is 45; I can't get cabin warmer than 71 even

Customer Question

Outside temp is 45; I can't get cabin warmer than 71 even with set point at 78
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: It is a new unit; a few days less than one month.
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?
Customer: When unit was installed (3 1/2 weeks ago, the installed checked everything. Some days it seems to heat better than other days. I set temp at 73 about seven hours ago; room temp (by three thermometers) is at most 71.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Probably not. It does have a warranty.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I can't think of anything that might be of help to you. I realize that a heat Heat pump heat is slow; there is no flame source of heat; but the temp seems to level off well below set temp; that is why the set point for past one-two hours has been 78. However, cabin temp remains at 71.
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 15 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of you situation.

What is the brand and model number of your unit?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Lennox Model MPA0125451Lennox MPA(###) ###-####l
Expert:  Rick replied 15 days ago.

I'm going to open this up to my colleagues so one of them can help. Please don't respond (even to acknowledge this post)until you get a response from us. If you respond first it will only delay your answer.

Expert:  Airheatman replied 15 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** do my best to help.Can you feel of the large copper refrigerant line at the outdoor section of the heat pump and tell me if it is hot to touch?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.

OK you need to get installer back asap.If that pipe is not hot, either compressor is not running or system has leaked refrigerant.Turn off immediately and get them back before further damage occurs.