Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.

I'm trying to wire a Sensi wifi thermostat (heat only) to my

Customer Question

I'm trying to wire a Sensi wifi thermostat (heat only) to my Viessmann vitodens 100W wall mounted gas fired boiler. Currently, the old thermostat I'm replacing (round, heat only, Honeywell) connects with a red and a white wire. The new Sensi, for heat only purposes, requires a c wire connection as well. On the thermostat side, there is an unused wire that I believe can be used as a c wire, and I understand how to connect these 3 wires
I assume that the c wire connection must also be connected at the boiler in order for the thermostat to be operational. My question to you is, which terminal at the boiler should I use to make this c wire connection?
Thank you for your attention to this question!
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 13 days ago.

Hello, one minute while I get some information together.

Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 13 days ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am HVAC Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

You need to connect that wire to the COMMON side of the low voltage transformer. That boiler does not have a terminal to connect that to. You would have to get a low voltage transformer to supply the 24 volts to your thermostat separate as you can not do it from the boiler itself.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me! are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
How and where would I connect the low voltage transformer?
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 13 days ago.

First what thermostat were you previously using? A battery one? or mechanical?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 13 days ago.

Yes then I would either use a battery one as you will need two wires to run the powered unit.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Do you mean a battery powered thermostat? Because I was trying to avoid that because the batteries would be an unreliable power source while we are not at home.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 13 days ago.

Yes a battery powered unit, I use one and have never had an issue that would be the easiest route to go honestly

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Is your thermostat wifi? And if so, how long do batteries last? We were told only a couple of weeks with wifi.
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 13 days ago.

Yes they do have to be recharged more, or you will have to get a low voltage transformer and wire that in. You just need to run 120 volts to the transformer then 2 wires to the thermostat from the transformer then to do it.