Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

Honeywell programmable thermostat we are in a rental and the

Customer Question

honeywell programmable thermostat we are in a rental and the thermostat is set to cool and 72 and it reads hold 83 and arrow is on system , been on for 12 hours and dropped degrees
JA: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?
Customer: thinking themo first but possible low on Freon ?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: i wonder if the themo is programmed wrong ??
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 14 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

If the thermostat reads HOLD then the programming is bypassed and the system should maintain the hold set point, 72 cool/AC. It sounds like you have a problem with the AC equipment which is not something you should have to deal with given you are renting. It's a job for a pro and the landlord is responsible.