Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a Honeywell, RTH7600, RET97 programmable thermostat.

Customer Question

I have a Honeywell, RTH7600, RET97 programmable thermostat. No problem for 2 years. Had to change to new batteries and after changing to heat and temp, nothing happens. I hear the clicking for the heatpump to come on, but nothing.
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: Yes. I turned it to off while we were gone 5 days. Turning it to heat this morning and then screen went off, no data. I changed to new batteries and reprogrammed heat and auto fan and ip to 70 but nothing.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If possible unless this requires an HVA tech. Our heat pump is over 20 years old. We have had 2 minimal problems in the past. No problems all summer with AC on from May to last week.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not sure, we are an all electrical house and everything is working. Should I check the individual breaker?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. I am looking over your question now and will respond shortly.

Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 month ago.

This may be with the equipment and not the thermostat. Are you willing to do a small test?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Absolutely, I did go out to check the box and all breakers are ok, none tripped.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry, no call. I already spent $28 and if it is my heat pump...I beed to call a local HVA guy. What is the test?
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 month ago.

remove top section of the thermostat

Locate wire on R and wire on G and cross those 2 together. tell me if fan runs

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My husband is on his way home to do this test. Be about 10 mins. Also, when I first turned the heat on, without my glasses on, I chose emergency heat and that is what started all of this. The screen went blank and I then took off the face and changed batteries. There was a slight noise when I selected emergency heat juzt before the screen went blank.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 1 month ago.

Like a short in the system. Hopefully just took out a small fuse.

Just respond after test

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Test is a no go. We have Trane XE1100, high efficiency heat pump. Where would the fuses be located?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
In our crawl space we found some old fuses on the ground by the heat pump unit. My husband opened a metal box but there were no fuses there and a message that stated that.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have asked 2 more questions after the test and yoy have not answered me. I am going to call my credit card and have the 2 charges cancelled. Plz tell me where the fuses are so we can get our heat oump working.