Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

Rheem heat pump would not start, I replaced capacitor and

Customer Question

rheem heat pump would not start, I replaced capacitor and worked fine for about 3 days, kicking on and off and cooling as required, spouse heard a noise late at night, so I turned it off for a few days, but now could use a little heat and fan will not turn, turned unit , humming noise and fan not turning? Sounds like same problem as before?
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: Thermostat's settings are correct, filters are replaced about every 90 days, however, will be replacing today, as it has been 90 days.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I would like to, if possible, I replaced capacitor, very easy...but, might require technician for troubleshooting electrical circuits, etc.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Have went to school for basic hvac training, but, I'm not experienced obviously, but am mechincally inclined.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 13 days ago.

Hello, does the system run in cooling mode currently, or are both heating and cooling not working.

I need the full model number of the heat pump in order to pull the service manual on the unit.

a photo of the units wiring diagram glued to the inside of the blower access panel will help as needs to be taken up close and exceedingly well focused. Use the attach files link to the left of your send button to attach the photo.

We can go from there.