Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

ArcoAire condensing unit Model: HAC448AKA 4 ton...stopped

Customer Question

ArcoAire condensing unit Model: HAC448AKA 4 ton...stopped working up a cloud of smoke or whatever for a few it the two fuses or the capacitor, or a broken factor weld joint at the capillary tube at the low pressure side and I guess that means inside the condenser somewhere, and or a condenser fan motor locked up, and or is there pressure control for the condenser being a problem and or temperature control or the Freon maybe all gone out.....not sure it might not be the R 22 but the new Freon whatever it is called it was installed in 2004......(not sure if this is a recall item as there were 28,000 recalled Arcoaire during 2000-2004 time period....I read.....Thank you. Tim
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?
Customer: The furnace goes on using the thermostat.......could the thermostat cause smoke like air to blow out of the condenser? The two 12x24x1 filters also have an electrostatic filter above them and the electrostatic was very clean and the two filters were replaced....truthfully they were dirty....have hallway carpet.......need to change the two filters more....I admit....
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I want to do as much as I save money......and try and get side job help as needed from an AC person.......
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The furnace is a four ton ArcoAire receipt said from 2004...the condenser was not really dirty outside and no leaves or debris hanging on it at all........have washed it has worked very well since installation in 2004 now almost 12 years.....that is about it.
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 17 days ago.

Hello, odds are that the 'run capacitor' blew up. 98% chance of that, there is a 2% chance that a wire terminal connection penetration at the compressor blew out.

Odds of a broken weld joint are also slim, under 1%

a bad run capacitor replacement is not complicated. Turn the power off to the outside unit, remove the service panels until you see ONE OF THESE...if it is oily or swollen it has blown up.

Tell me if you need coaching on how to replace it. We can go from there.