BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

I have a Goodman GMPN120-5 Furnace, A Chronotherm III

Customer Question

Hello I have a Goodman GMPN120-5 Furnace, A Chronotherm III Thermostat. Finally, I have a Payne Central Air Unit. Someone stole the Pullout from the disconnect so I bought the whole box just to get the pullout and two 35amp fuses. I knew something was wrong because I had no A/C and thermostat displayed HOLD AC. I was hoping this would fix everything. I have no power though. No red light on furnace control board, flipped switch off and on, changed 3amp fuse, turned indoor breakers off and on. There is 240 coming to the disconnect box. It is not wired where you can measure Line In and Load separately. Can you help me get Power everywhere again? Walk me through troubleshooting with a Multimeter and a test light?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. I am looking over your question now and will respond shortly.

at the furnace...take doors off and take a couple pics.

Then post here and I will mark test points. If you cannot post pics I will try something else

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK Will try to get close and clear ones.

standing by

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Billy do you have ability to receive these pics in cell phone msg? I can call whatever number but meanwhile it's simpler to check "message" next to photos and send to a cell or email (I thinkBilly do you have a cell I can send these pics too first?

you can use the attach files link by the dialog box..if that does not work we will try something else.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
have to plug phone into computer, import the pics which takes awhile then can click on add files to send.

I will start another way with drawings from end in the meantime

first lets start at switch on side of the furnace...is this a switch only or switch/fuse combo?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
can you see these?

Downloading now, just a moment

first item click HERE

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Billy it's an S 15 buss fuse but is recessed an inch a half in a short bore with black plastic threads. I took a piece off the back but not a way to the fuse from there.

ok follow the wires from that fuse into the furnace...it goes to a pop out door switch..do you see that?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can't see any part of the fuse but the very top, enough to see its a blue circle, gold center, and S 15 on it. When I mention what is directly behind it. it was one screw - unscrewed it and took little plate off, inside is a square metal compartment. Just outside it on right edge is plasctic push button kind of toggle, real loose feel. wires on end inside are cut. Then also Inside the square opening is a large gauge black wire coming from a hole and red cap twist connector, the other half of big black wire goes...I can't tell till I go back down. What do I do with the big black wire? Door switch feels dead if you know what I mean, it looks and feels broken. But it has always been like that. It seems disconnected from anything anyway.

Also see HERE

can you pick up any voltage around the fuse area at all

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no voltage around fuse area, the wires coming from the recessed fuse we talked about are blk grn and wt, green looks like ground the blk and wht go to conntrol board, sending pics. How to get the fuse out?

sounds like it is bypassed....have you checked at breaker first? In electric panel

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
here billy
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
check at breaker just to see if it needs to be reset? I did.

Your fuse is already gone so it has likely been bypassed. Does the black wire come in behind that fuse holder and go straight into furnace?

See here too

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
black wire and white wire both go straight to circuit board, the white on top of a row of six wires, the black wire on bottom (one blk and one wht go to what looks like a relay mounted above). the the other two in that row are white.

lets find a spot with power and work the other way..

Do you have power in the on/off switch on side of furnace?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How do I check that? My test light is blown, I stuck it in that red 'screw on' connector of blk wires, but switch was on, oops, fireworks, and the metal has melt marks on it.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have multimeter but how to check that off on switch,----and off or on?

we would need a voltmeter ..with power ON we would put red meter lead to black wire and black meter lead to white wire or ground.

Did you look at the bottom of the circuit board that I asked about earlier? The bottom of the board looked like it had been under water or burned

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
btw I checked for voltage at the end of that black wire, pulled off the board. No voltage

and is the door switch that pops out taped down or held down when you tested that wire?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
there are parts that have rust marks. The route for condensation is not working well, this whole unit is funky, bad heat exchanger too, but for now..

ok, tape down door switch or wire past it

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
tape down door switch then check off/on blk/wht---or the black one going to board?

blk to board

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
be right back
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
barely .1 at black wire with switch on, red to wire clip, black to ground. .50 at white wire
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was trying to push the door switch here and there it honestly didn't matter
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it's not connected to anything

did you trip breaker when it sparked earlier?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'll check
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
very strange too--I try to snap it back on and it's 'mushy' for lack of a better word, 15amp, and so is the 15amp under it, controls outlets in dining room. They may have been put in as connected kind? I have a whole box of 15 amp 'singles. Is that what's wrong or did I just create this problem with the sparks? btw 3amp on board didnt blow

I would replace breaker and get sure that we have 120v at breaker...then check back at the black wire to board again.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Do I need to turn evereything off at the main breaker

If you have replaced a breaker before it is not necessary.

Turn breaker off you are removing.

pop out the breaker

remove the wiring

wire onto new breaker

pop new breaker in

turn on breaker

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
you said check for 120 at breaker, do you mean after I pop out the old one, or do it at the wires going to new breaker? Will my voltmeter read that high? Its a snap on blue point bought years ago for automotive?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
34;SnapOn"

I am not familiar with that meter so I am not sure.

You could also just remove wire from breaker and wire onto another breaker that you know works as a test

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Billy I tested the furnace 15a wire from box to another 15a slot--dead
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
with new breakr and switch on no change in voltage in blk at board, nor wht for that matter
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the breaker box wire is black and goes to switch on side of furnace
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
this coiled silver wire holder/router carries the breaker wire to the switch

can you tell me the last place you read power?

Is the switch on the side of furnace carrying 120v?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Well if you are still here I finally just took off the side power switch and hoped if I didn't use it or the outlet below which was wired to it, maybe I'd get lucky. I just connected the black and white wires (essentially from the junction box next to fusebox), and looked at what was in the off/on switch box, wired together. Three wires routed downward to the outlet were blue black and white. They are simply disconnected. Hoped I'd get a decent volt reading. Low low readings everywhere, not over 9 volts. So all I can say is that I turned ON the drier, checked each 30 amp of the connected fuses, I FINALLY got 118volts from each one. Still no red light on board, low voltage at board.
ON the drier
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ignore where it says "ON the drier"
at the end there.