Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

I have a dyna glo propane heater model # TT15SCDGP. The

Customer Question

I have a dyna glo propane heater model # TT15SCDGP. The directions for lighting it staate turn the valve on the propane tank on, set the flow adjuster on the heater to high, engage the red plunger to turn on the flow of propane then light it. It also suggests leaving the plunger engaged for 30 seconds then release. When I release the plunger the flow of propane stops and the fire goes out. It really does not matter how long the plunger is activated because when the plunger is very carefully released the propane flos stops and the fire goes out. How do you keep this thing lighted?
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: It worked last winter. But when I attempted to light it the last day or two it won't light or more accurately stay lit.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If it is a simple task I would if given good instructions otherwise I would send it out. I have only used this unit for about a month. I have two identical units and botyh are acting the same way.
JA: The expert is ready to answer your HVAC question. Is there anything else you want him to know?
Customer: I have explained the problem and am somewhat frustrated about the unreliability of this unit.
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Airheatman replied 14 days ago.

OK if flame is going off, we have one of 5 issues.

1. Tilt switch open

2. Wiring of thermocouple

3. Defective thermocouple

4. Defective tilt switch

5. Defective gas valve

The most common is a dirty thermocouple built up with carbon.Use a dollar bill or fine sandcloth and clean thermocouple and lets see if that solves the problem.If not we will go from there.

If you are not familiar with the thermocouple it is here