airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

Have a Ruud system, air handle model UPHK_24J11NFD which

Customer Question

Have a Ruud system, air handle model UPHK_24J11NFD which won't shut off. Tested thermostat which is ok. Was told had to replace entire motor unit. Probably a relay, but whole unit?
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: All ok. Runs even with theromostat disconnected. Only way to shut it off is circuit breaker.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If I can, fairly handy
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Don't know what would help. Nos. on motor are GE ECM 2.3, looks like serial is 027YKW
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue.

Are you sure about the model number (UPHK)? I can't find it in the data base.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
typo UBHK
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

OK, hang on while I pull the specs.

Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

You'll probably have to replace the ECM motor control module so if that's what they were referring to it is a likely fix.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is that the module on the back of the motor? If so, is it replaceable separately?
Where would I find it?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What about the blower control board?
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

Yes it is separate from the motor and can be replaced without replacing the motor. However there is a specific procedure that must be followed to replace the ECM. Could also be a stuck relay on the board as well.

You could give these guys a call for parts
http://www.bestbuyheatingandairconditioning.com/

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is there a way to see if it is the control board? That part is about $45, and the ECM/motor about $600.
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

I'm going to open this up to my colleagues so one of them can help. Please don't respond (even to acknowledge this post)until you get a response from us. If you respond first it will only delay your answer.

Expert:  airheatman replied 2 months ago.

I am Tim. a different expert.I am a Ruud dealer.

The problem is going to be one of two things. One could be the control board is not sending signal to motor and the other which is most common is a defective controller on the motor.

The tool for testing costs about 100 bucks. You can see it at link below:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/161793648358?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

If you have the tool or wish to obtain it, I will be happy to assist you in detemining if issue is with control board or motor.

If this is something you want to troubleshoot and have or can obtain the test tool,let me know.Otherwise you will need an onsite tech to troubleshoot to determine if issue is motor controller or board.

Click on the link below for more information on what I am referring to using the ecm motor tester.

http://www.alpinehomeair.com/_viewresource.cfm?ID=3359

The most common cause is the bell control on the end of the motor .They are known to fail on these units.

Hopefully this will be cobvered by warranty as the motor with bell is about 800 bucks wholesale.If you can give me serial number ,last name and zip code I will be glad t check on warranty status for you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for your help.
What's on the module/motor is GE ECM 2.3, Serial appears to be 027YKW
Phil Ehlinger
32119

My apologies,I should have been more specific. I need serial on the UPHK_24J11NFD air handler

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Air handler is UBHK-24J11NFD
Serial # TM0904-00710

Thanks.Be right back

Any more numbers before the T?

Below is Ruud serial formats.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
nope

Can you make sure the numbers are all correct.This number does not come up as a valid serial

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Looked again. There's a label on the door/cover and that's what's next to the Serial # TM0904-00710. It shows mfg in 2004 if that helps

Ok.from the 09/04 it was manufactured in September of 2004.THat will be 12 years old so it will be past the 10 year warranty even if it got registered, so not under warranty.

Without the test tool you might try unplugging the low voltage plug to motor and see if it will go off.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not sure which is the low voltage plug...I think the one on the left - white ...?
If the motor doesn't go off/ or does, what does that mean?

The ECM is high voltage powered (The Black and orange wires) and low voltage controlled through the control board through (the 15 pin connector).

This means the motor has power at all times. When we call for heat or ac the controller gets signal from board.

So unplug the 15 pin connector.If fan still runs, issue is in controller if it goes off, most likely the board.Let me know.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
unplugged the low voltage (had turned power off). Fan did not start when powered on
thanks
now what?

AS a contractor, I always like to verify by using the tester mentioned above.That tester is about a hundred bucks.Since motor does not come on it is a good possibility that issue is the board.My recommendation is get the tester or to pay a tech (who will have the tester) to verify 100 per cent that it is the board.It is still a small possibilty controller on end of motor.Once we know for sure we can locate the part needed online wheter it is board or controller for about half what a tech will charge to replace.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK, good advice. However, I can get the board for $40, and the tester is $100. So I'll see if I can find a tech to check it out.
Not going to be able to get someone probably 'til next week since we're in Daytona Beach and everyone is hiding & playing Chic***** *****ttle due a hurricane coming up the coast.
How do I get back to you online.
Really appreciate your guidance and help.
Phil

Phil if you have found the board for 40 bucks, I would be tempted to say let's go ahead and replace it first.When ready just sign in to JA website and go to MY QUESTIONS, that will bring you back here.