Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

I have a gas water carrier furnace and with thermostats al

Customer Question

I have a gas water carrier furnace and with thermostats al the way down it kicks off and on regulating at about 72 degrees, what,s up with it ?
JA: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?
Customer: i don,t know , i just put a thermostat in upstairs and the one down stairs was new last year, but what i was wondering about was the thing above the tank which looks like it was replaced before because it,s in box on shelf and it,s corroded all green it has like an air valve on it
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if i can
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 17 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of you situation.

Are you saying the boiler fires up when you have the heat turned down? The "thing" you're describing sounds the expansion tank. It has nothing to do with a problem related to controlling the heat temp in the house.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
O.K. yes the gas heater fires up and comes on with upstairs and downstairs thermastats turned all the way down and regulates at about 72 degrees
Expert:  Rick replied 9 days ago.

It sounds like you have a short in the thermostat wiring between the thermostat and the boiler. You could also have a bad thermostat.