Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

Is this mold in the pics, and if so can you tell what kind

Customer Question

Is this mold in the pics, and if so can you tell what kind it is? I'm also wanting to know what kind of illness this type of mold can cause, if any.
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 23 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

First 2 pics look like dust, mold only grows on moist surfaces, 3rd pic maybe, 4th pic possibly. The only way to know for sure is to take a sample and have it tested. There are inexpensive test kits available, here's a link to one.

Expert:  Rick replied 22 days ago.

Do you have more questions?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
oh i thought mold could grow on ac vents because condensation builds there. It really looks like mold up close. And especially on the pvc pipe in the cabinet.
Expert:  Rick replied 21 days ago.

I said the PVC pipe looked the most like mold. If you want to be sure you have to have it tested. The test results if positive will also tell you what the potential issues are with that type of mold.