Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I got no flame in my furnace. Actually I got heat on a first

Customer Question

I got no flame in my furnace.
JA: Did you check the furnace's filters?
Customer: Actually I got heat on a first day of I turn on the heat, but on the next day it not getting any flame. Ignator working.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes I will have a try.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No I am not sure. I tried turn off circuit breaker turn back on but all the same.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of you situation.

What is the brand and model number of your unit?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Amana 80 sse
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

I need the actual model number off the rating tag. What you gave me is the series.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How do I Know that
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

You have to check the rating tag which is usually inside the burner compartment.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
MODEL # GUIC045CA30
SERIAL #(###) ###-####
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

What are you getting for a flash sequence on the LED on the control board?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't see any flash light
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

There should be a small viewing port on the blower compartment panel that you can look through to see the LED. Don't remove the panel it will kill the power and put out the LED.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I see the viewing port but noting is flashing
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

Do you see any light in there?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

If the panel for the blower compartment is securely in place you either have no power to the unit or a problem with the trans former. Has anyone shut any switches off? Do you have a meter to do some voltage testing?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No I don't have one
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

Then the only thing you can do is to double check that the service switch (near the furnace) is on and the breaker hasn't tripped. There's also a small chance that the safety switch behind the blower compartment panel has failed. You could try disconnecting the 2 leads connected to it then connect them together. Best to turn the power off to the furnace before you try that then turn it back on once they are connected. There could also be an emergency switch (red switch plate) outside the area where the furnace is located. It should be high on a wall, much higher than a normal switch but you might not have one.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can tell the the ignator is on and ofafter one click sound. The little fan up on gas burner is running.
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

You could have a bad control board because you should see that LED lit up (flashing or steady) if it has power. Try this, turn the power off to the unit wait a minute then turn it back on. The first thing that should happen is the draft (small) fan on the front of the unit should start, next the igniter should glow then the burners should fire up. Tell me what happens.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I tried 2, 3 time are the same as you say but burner not fire up.
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

Does the igniter glow? The area where the burners are will light up with a red glow

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
about 5 sec and I hard a click than the igniter dim back.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The fan running for about 1 min and off and fan on again and igniter grow again, like 2 times and give up.
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

Ok, you could have a bad board or a bad gas control valve. There's no way to tell which one it is without a volt meter. But the board should be giving you a flashing LED error sequence

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The first day the head was heating my house. But it happened the next day. So should we give up now?
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

Well I've narrowed it down to a couple possibilities. If you don't have a meter I can't go any further with you. It's probably best to leave the repair of either to a pro anyway. Now you know what the likely culprits are so you won't be completely in the dark when the tech comes to fix it.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay. I will cal a service. Thank for your help tho.
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

You're welcome

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Now I see the light, someone install the board up side down. The light goes blink 3 sec repeat.
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

That's an indication that the pressure switch which is supposed to check the draft is not closed. This should not be possible since you say the igniter glows. With this error the igniter should not glow

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's like - - - - light, off for 3 sec, light again and off after 3 sec light again repeat.
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

My last answer still applies

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
You can check the video I took
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HveN7ISjLg
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

I don't see the igniter glowing on the first try. Then you might get the 3 flash error. You shouldn't get a 3 flash after the igniter glows. After the igniter glows and it shuts down you should get 1 flash

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
when I turn on the switch 1 blink and the fan start running, after that igniter start growing. That the process.
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

Ok so my original conclusion still applies.

Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

I'd appreciate a favorable rating

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay.
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

Use the stars at the top of your page. I'd appreciate 4 or 5 stars.