Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

Central Environmental System burner does not light.

Customer Question

Central Environmental Systems model P-HDD16N09201A burner won't light. Green light on controller board blinks slowly.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: two days. worked intermittently, then finally quit altogether
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: If you could give me some troubleshooting tips, I should be able to find the problem
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Airheatman replied 20 days ago.

Does the small vent motor come on when you call for heat?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.

Does the unit have a spark ignition ignitor and if so does it spark?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
it has a spark ignitor, but it doesn't spark

Below is a troubleshooting chart on the ignitor. Lets remove cable and se if we have spark at module.

With wire disconnected we should here the box clicking.Check the wire to make sure it is not broken internally and clean the ignitor with emory cloth or fine sand paper.We will go from here.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
started the system, disconnected the wire, the box was clicking. reconnected the wire and the furnace started right up. it ran for one heating cycle and then quit again. shut the system down. went back in 10 or 15 minutes, restarted the furnace and disconnected the wire again, and the box was not clicking and the furnace wouldn't start. the combustion blower runs all the time.
Expert:  Airheatman replied 19 days ago.

Did it run until thermostat satisfied?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
no, the flame and the blower quit but the combustion blower kept running.

Try a hard reset by turning power completely off then re try and see what we get

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I have been turning the power off each time I try something different. the furnace is in a 3 foot crawl space under the house(not fun going down there), and there is a switch down there that turns the power off to the furnace. I've left the thermostat turned up most of the time so that it will try to start each time I flip the switch

Sounds like that module may be failing if it was clicking before but now will not click at all unless a limit opened.Do you get a flash code like flash flash flash flash pause, repeat?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
no, the green light is always just a steady constant slow flash,

I suspect you did, but did you remove the wire and check it for continuity and see if box would click again?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I checked it with an ohmmeter the first time
Expert:  Airheatman replied 17 days ago.

I suspect module to be issue

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
When I crawled under the house to get the numbers off of the module, I noticed some water in the drain line from the exhaust vent to the condensate drain. I pulled the hose off the condensate drain and got a steady stream of water for about 30 seconds. Evidently the drain line got plugged. Now the furnace is working normally.
Expert:  Airheatman replied 16 days ago.

Wow.Glad you noticed that before replacing board.So many little things that can make such a tremendous difference that I can not see via internet.Just let me know if you have more problems.