Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

We have an toyo stove laser 73. the fan wont come on. we

Good Morning! we have an toyo stove laser 73. the fan wont come on. we have heat, everythings burning good. power to the main board for the fan. But fan wont turn on. Can you help?
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: changed fuel filter at tank, cleaned the screen how do we double check the thermostats settings?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: with the volt-a-meter the transformer has no continuity

Hello, it is about 75% likely that the fan relay mounted on the main board or the board itself is bad. and about 15% likely the fan motor itself has failed.

Tell me a lot about your technical skills set so that I can coach you more accurately from here please.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
where is the fan relay? and how do you test it? we have the manual with part numbers. Experience? ranchers in remote area so have to ifgure things out for over 40 yrs. have worked on a forced air furnace several times prior to this Toyo Stove Laser 73
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
we're still trouble shooting the fan motor. we verified we have power throught part#20478317 Transformer. thats what we thought went out. now we are taking apart back of unit to get to the wiring at the fan/fan motor.
how do we test the fan motor?

Hello again, click here for the service manual

to test the fan motor verify it has 120 volts to it, if it does, and the fan does not run replace the fan motor.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok so we took the fan off & apart, disconnected the wire from the mthr board. when put tester to mthr board we have high amps there. we have the fan moter apart revealing the wires inside. when put the end of wires to mthr board and retest no amps. then i pulled the black wire off mthr board and amps went up???
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
as soon as we plug the fan motor plugs back into the mthr board, put the tester on it and we no longer have power there OR to the fan base???

So far it sounds like a bad motor, but test it with the volt meter please, not the amp meter for now, if it has 120vac to the female side of the motor plug in, and the motor does not run, replace the motor.

it is not possible to have amp draw if the motor is not connected... that would be a one in a thousand chance that the mcb is bad.

Be sure that you do not have amperage confused with voltage.

Amperage (same as 'current')

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Euzzw0287i8

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok we're gonna have to figure out this tester because we really dont know. Can we get ahold of you again?

Yes you can get ahold of me again, After you rate my input so far positively, I will then hold the question open to on an unlimited time basis,

(without that guarantee I can spend days with a customer and not be paid, I hope you understand)

To get ahold of me just keep posting this thread,

or save this link http://professional.justanswer.com/chat/index/1b1af82800e64285988ce9596aecb899#

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok thanks

You are welcome, locate the 'finish and rate' link, click on it and follow the prompts...if you give me an excellent rating that insures that company pays me and that I do not spend days helping you, without pay,

In exchange I will hold the question open for you on an unlimited time basis.