Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

My air exchange vent is making a noise like a shower is

Customer Question

my air exchange vent is making a noise like a shower is running or something
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: filter is new and thermostat is working properly
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: i am in florida and it rained very hard last night and that is when i started hearing the noise...the air conditioner turns on and fan is running but very little air is coming through ceiling vent
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 24 days ago.

Hello, there are over 10,000 different AC configurations on the market, if you can give the brand and model number that will help a lot... if not a few photo's will help, use the attach files link to the left of your send button for that.

So far it sounds like the cooling coil has developed a block of ice around it that is stopping the air flow, and the ice melt water in its drain pan is making the 'shower' noise.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I have juat le ft my home for shopping...i can give u model when i return along with pics but the manufacturer is nordyne...this is a manfacture in florida and the only air exchange vent is in the living room....with the possibility of ur answer above...what is the fix
Expert:  Phil replied 24 days ago.

So far it sounds like you are talking about the 'return air vent' and that the cooling coil is indeed iced... 4 or 5 pics taken from about 8 feet away will give me a better idea of what you have. Meantime turn the power off to the unit to let the ice melt, that will take 4 or 5 hours.

We can go from there

Expert:  Phil replied 24 days ago.