airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

The furnace technician that was out today showed me slight

Customer Question

The furnace technician that was out today showed me slight burn spot on the control board for my Rheem gas furnace Citrion II, it is 20 years old and they are recommending new heater. This company has been maintaining my unit for several years and appears reputable. Can I replace with just a board or should I go for a new heater? Also, a lot of corosion up the exhaust pipe, which he temporarily rewrapped until I replace.
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the pilot light?
Customer: The heater works and is all programmed, just concerned about more of the control board burning causing it to shut down during colder temperatures.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I just want it to be safe, which the technician did not shut it down but he couldn't guarantee it would keep running all winter. Just wondered if it is easy enough to find a control board for a 20 year old Rheem gas furnace.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 2 months ago.

At 20 years old, if you can afford it, the best thing is to replace the furnace rather than spend 300 to 400 bucks on this one.You will have a new 10 year parts warranty and 20 year heat exchanger warranty.

If you have further questions, please let me know.

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.

AS for the control board,they are readily available. if you can give me full model off the label in burner compartment I will tell you what control board you need and help you locate if you want to do yourself.