airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

American Standard HVAC split system heat pump tripping

American Standard HVAC split system heat pump tripping breaker every 7 minutes

Do you have an amp meter to see what the fan is drawing and does it overheat?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have an amp meter please advise exactly what i need to set that at and where to test??The motor is not hot at all and neither is the breaker...

What is model on meter? We will clamp it around one wire at a time to see what it is drawing

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will check and get back to you shortly...

Sounds good

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have a craftsman 40 to 400 amp setting with new batteries

Set to the 40 amp. Clamp around one wire at a time and see what we get with fan on when breaker trips.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok will do now...get right back to you...

Also let me know what amp draw should be ,it will be listed as RLA on motor.Do same with each compressor wire.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
BLACK WIRE: 1.01 AMPS
PURPLE WIRE: 1.13 AMPS
BROWN WIRE: 0.56 AMPS

OK motor is not the issue.

lets do same on the compressor wires.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Question should i leave it running each test or can i shut off each test?

Leave running until it trips. We need to know what amp draw is on each component when it trips to determine which is causing it to trip.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Breaker not tripped yet here are my readings so far...ORANGE WIRE: 6.85 AMPS
RED WIRE: 10.0 AMPS
BLACK WIRE: 9.0 AMPS

Lets leave meter on compressor watching it closely until breaker trips.At that moment tell me amp draw

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
SURE be back shortly I hope..

Take your time No rush

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I went back out and it already tripped breaker and the breaker is hot and will not reset

Lets allow it to cool down , then do again.

I am suspecting you may have a weak breaker or loose wire. When you say you checked breaker, what exactly do you mean by "tested breaker"?

Lets also make sure the wires are secure at breaer

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok checking now...

Standing by. There really is noting that should cause high amp draw to trip breaker once compressor and fan are running.The amp draw should stay pretty consistant.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok so i have inspected the wire to the breaker it appears to be ok except for the outside sheild has been sun beaten for many years inside the box I dont see a clear wire short so i will cut off the bad wire down to the good wire and buy a new breaker as the terminal on one side was loose fitting on the breaker side so that could be our problem will update you tomorrow looks like its a square D double 30amp I am sure that Lowes has that in stock...

Yes Lowes will have for about 8 bucks. Lets do that and see if that solves problem.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Going to pick up Square D Homeline 35-Amp 2-Pole Double-Pole Circuit Breaker $8.57

Let me know if this solves

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok tested with the new breaker and the unit seems to be working fine now so I guess we can close this order thank you...

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.

To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page.