How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask airheatman Your Own Question
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Category: HVAC
Satisfied Customers: 8030
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
Type Your HVAC Question Here...
airheatman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a Goodman heat pump condenser, R22 frion, 13 seers,

Customer Question

I have a Goodman heat pump condenser , R22 frion , 13 seers, still have 4 years warranty, my air handler is too old. Can I replace it and change to 410A ? I can order the air handler and frion from AC wear houser.
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: Thermostate is 78 f, filter is new. Runs good, but the attic unit leaking water
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes, but I can hire a AC technician.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Is it doable to switch from r22 to 410a? Is it possible to to it myself?
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  WCohn replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  WCohn replied 4 months ago.

It is possible, but the cost of the refrigerant is so expensive it may not be worth it.

You'll have to waste a LOT of it when you purge the system of R22. You can do it yourself if you have the proper gauges and equipment.

Expert:  WCohn replied 4 months ago.

I nor the company I work for would do it for a customer. Just not worth it. You should also change out your condenser pump as well.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the outside unit is Goodman GSH130361 BB, R22, still running good. I want some good ideas from you:
1) To keep the outside unit, but replace inside unit.
What Goodman the models/part numbers of inside unit and what condenser pump should I get? How much new refrigerant 410A will it need? Will this keep it up 13 SEER? Is there any way to increase to higher SEER?
2) To replace both outside and inside units,
Will it be possible to sell the existing outside unit on eBay? Will it be worth it to replace both of them?
Expert:  airheatman replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

1. If you want to replace just the air handler you will need to purchase an R22 expansion valve to use with the new air handler as all new air handlers will come with a R410 TXV.

2.You can not convert the Outdoor unit to R410 the compressor is an R22 only compressor

3.The wise thing to do is replace both indoor and outdoor units with new R410 equipment.

4.You can then sell the R22 outdoor unit on Craigslist or local shopper. Since there are no R22 new units available, there is a great demand for the used R22 condensor

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
to clarify your point 1. The purpose of the R22 expansion valve is to keep using R22?
Expert:  airheatman replied 4 months ago.

That is correct. The only way to continue to use your GSH130361 is to continue using R22.If you want to convert to R410 (which is the wise choice), you will have to replace both indoor and outdoor. You can not use R410A with this outdoor unit.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Since R22 is not good for the environment, how to purge it into a container instead of into the air? Can i sell the purged R22?
Expert:  airheatman replied 4 months ago.

Legally the R22 must be recovered.This requires special recovery equipment.The least expensive recovery unit is about 500 bucks so it would be more practical to have an ac contractor do this.

Below is the equipment necessary to do this job.Unless you have the equipment it is more practical to hire it done than purchase all the necessary equipment.

1.Refrigerant gauges

2.Oxygen /Acetylene brazing rig

3.Refrigerant gauges

4.Recovery unit

5.Vacuum Pump

6.Pipe clamp thermometer for charging by sub cooling/superheat

Expert:  airheatman replied 4 months ago.

Used R22 can not legally be sold

Expert:  airheatman replied 4 months ago.

If you have further questions, please let me know.

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.

To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page.