Silicon_Savant
Silicon_Savant, Engineer
Experience:  HVAC Engineer
47322625

I have a Rheem ECOH200DV tankless water heater. A couple of

Customer Question

Hello
I have a Rheem ECOH200DV tankless water heater. A couple of days ago it wasn't working and i found the two 3amp fuses blown. I replaced them, and they blew immediately when I plugged the power back in. We did have a lightning storm the night before. Could you advise what to check? Thank you! Kevin
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 2 months ago.

It sounds like the problem may be with the heating element in your unit has went bad which can cause this to happen. Have you checked the heating element?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I forgot to say this is a LP gas tankless water heater.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 2 months ago.

So do those units not have heating elements?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Burner and heat exchanger, what should i check on it?
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 2 months ago.

is your unit getting power at all?

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 2 months ago.

You can check the board to see if its getting power. Did the lighting hit your unit?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can't get power to the board because the fuses keep blowing when I plug in the power
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't know if lightning hit the unit there was just the electrical storm the night before it stopped working
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 2 months ago.

It sounds like the control board is fried and will need to be replaced. That is the only thing that makes sense.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I actually tried a new control board that we FedEx overnight and it did the exact same thing when I plugged it in the only thing is it was missing one connection with two wires to it
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 2 months ago.

Why was it missing one connection and two wires? That may very well be your problem was it not the same board? Did you have to replace the new board with old parts?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My wife ordered the part and it was supposed to be the exact same part but even so it shouldn't blow the fuses on it when you plug it in
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 2 months ago.

It can if all the parts were not there that were supposed to be. That means something is wrong with the electrical aspect of it. That is why it keeps blowing the fuses.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The two wires that were missing go to the water collector from the heat exchanger for sensing
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 2 months ago.

I am going to go ahead an open this up to other experts to see if anyone else can assist you with this. I believe the problem is with the control board but I cant be certain of course.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK thank you
Expert:  Silicon_Savant replied 2 months ago.

Hi there happy to help.

How old is the unit? What specific parts have you replaced, and are you qualified to safely work on electrical equip?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello
I got it running
Replaced the board and blower
Works good now