Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  I have been an HVAC/R mechanic/technician for 30+ years.
67988511

I have a Rheem heat pump heating and cooling system--Model

Customer Question

I have a Rheem heat pump heating and cooling system--Model RBHC. I am trying to wire in a new thermostat but my color coded wires got mixed up. I believe I have a 6 wire system.
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My wire thermostat colors are Red, Brown, Green, Blue, Yellow, and White
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am wiring a Honeywell 6000 series thermostat.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. I am looking over your question now and will respond shortly.

do you know if you have electric back up heat?

Or remember the terminals used in old thermostat?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok. My question concerns the white and the blue thermostat wires. I have the brown on the "C". I have a Rheem heat pump with an air handler. It has electric heating strips. My question is: what terminals do the white, blue and brown go on?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I do have backup electric heat on the unit.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 3 months ago.

So is it the wires to the thermostat you are trying to wire? I dont think that is the thermostat is compatible with your unit and that is your problem.

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 3 months ago.

it doesnt have enough colors for your unit its a one cool system so You will need to pick up another thermostat.

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 3 months ago.

Do you happen to have the box number for the thermostat. Should start with letters.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
These six wires are the original thermostat wires. The system was working before. My new Honeywell Thermostat (6000) series has plenty of terminals for the wires.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 3 months ago.

What is the model number of your Honeywell so I can look this up for you?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have a Honeywell Vision Pro 8000 that I can use.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 3 months ago.

Ok now what are the wires on that one. Do you have a model number for that one. It should start with letters.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The thermostat wires that come from the air handler to the thermostat are
Red
Brown
Green
Blue
Yellow
White
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 3 months ago.

all I need is for you to take the back part of the thermostat off and locate the model number for the honeywell on there.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Honeywell Visionpro 8000 TH8320U1008
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 3 months ago.

OK so the unit you are going to need will have 8 places. Because the wires you have will not leave anywhere for the power on it. What you need is something simular to this or 2 heat 1 cool thermostat

http://yourhome.honeywell.com/en/products/thermostat/wi-fi-7-day-programmable-touch-rth8580wf

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This thermostat (Honeywell Visionpro 8000) can do "UP to 3 Heat/2 Cool Heat Pump.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 3 months ago.
but it's not compatible with the colors you have. I have hooked many units up many times. You can even contact Honeywell yourself and they will tell you the same. I'll open this question up to other experts.
Expert:  Brian HVAC Guy replied 3 months ago.

Hi I'm Brian and I'll help you through this. I'm sorry you haven't gotten the help you need yet.

Do you have the ability to open your air handler and take a picture of how the thermostat wires from your thermostat location are connected to the factory air handler connections and outdoor unit thermostat wires then upload them here using the "Attach Files" button? We can fix this quick if you do.

If not, and you don't remember how the wires were attached to your old thermostat, I can give you a very educated guess at how to wire your new thermostat.

Thanks,

Brian

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Okay, I have a Honeywell Thermostat Model RTH6580WF1001 wIfi.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Okay, I don't have my camera here right now. In looking at the air handler, where the thermostat wires originate, There appear to be 6 wires being used--Red, Brown, Green, Blue, Yellow, and White. The original thermostat is a Honeywell 6000 series.

That is the second model number you've given. Is that the exact model number of the thermostat you are trying to wire up? Not the one you previously stated: Honeywell TH8320U1008? I have the manuals for both and either will operate your system if wired and programmed correctly.

On the air handler, is the brown wire from the thermostat connected to a factory brown wire in the air handler? Also is the blue wire from the thermostat connected to the blue wire going to the outdoor unit and NOT a factory wire in the air handler? Is the white thermostat wire from the thermostat connected to a white factory wire in the air handler?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Okay, let's go with the RTH6580WF1001. That is the thermostat plate that is already installed and ready to be wired. I think I must have just 1 or 2 wires in the wrong place. The unit does not have a battery and it powers up. I can run the fan on "fan" but not on "auto"

Thanks, ***** ***** can answer the three questions above about the wiring in the air handler, I can give you a precise guide. If not, I will follow the logical approach to color coding on your system. Either way is fine with me just tell me which way you want to go.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Re: wiring between the air handler and the outside condensing unit: Brown to Brown, Blue goes to blue, and white seems to go to white but there is one wire that is white and black.

Perfect, thank you! Please allow me a moment to type your guide up. Once you wire the thermostat we will go through the installer set up to make sure your system works right! Thanks for your patience!

This is how you will wire the Honeywell RTH6580WF1001 to the six wires:

Red to R and leave jumper to Rc

Yellow to Y

Green to G

Brown to C

Blue to O/B

White to Aux/E

Let me know once you've got that done then we'll review the installer set up options. There will be two options that have to be changed from their default values in order for your system to work correctly.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Okay, I have the thermostat wired the way you stated.

So now with the thermostat powered up and the thermostat system switch off, press and hold the Fan and temperature UP buttons simultaneously until the screen changes. This will put you in installer set up. There should be a left and right number, the left number is ***** function and it should be showing function 1. The right number's default is 0 (zero) and you need to use the temperature up/down buttons to change that to 5. Press next after you change that to 5. The second function should be showing now and the right hand number should be on its default of 0 (zero), you need to change that to 1. Now press DONE and that's it! YOu should set the date and time on the thermostat if you haven't already! Your system should run after any time delays (up to 5 minutes after power up) have elapsed.

Let me know how that goes!

Then cycle through cooling, heating and fan and make sure all modes work properly. Let me know if they do and certainly let me know if they DON'T!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Okay, I will do that. I actually had the wiring right. Perhaps I didn't wait long enough for the system to fire up. I'll let you know how it goes in about 20 minutes.

FYI, If cool or heat flashes in the display, that means the thermostat is in a time delay.

Had you changed the installer set up options to the values I wrote earlier? If not, then the system wouldn't have worked properly. Although the cooling MAY have. It's possibly you didn't wait long enough, that is a common issue among new users of these thermostats. There won't always be those delays, they are just after the compressor has been cycled off or upon a power interruption and restoration.

It's also very important to set the date and time on initial power up. That can affect the system operating correctly as well.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok, it's running now on heat and we have got heat. Now, I'm seeing if the AC will fire up.

Since the compressor would have been called for in heat, there will be another delay before the compressor comes on. It should be a five minute delay.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm still waiting for the AC and fan to come on. The heat came on okay. I didn't see the outside unit come on yet after I switched to cooling. I just reset the breakers for the AC and Heat in the panel. The thermostat says it is on cooling and the fan is on auto. The fan hasn't started up yet.

Undoubtedly in a delay. The fact that the outdoor unit worked in heating and you got heat tells volumes. The cool should work fine after the delay has elapsed.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Actually, when it was producing heat, the air handler was running but I didn't see the outside unit run. Is that supposed to run with heat and cooling----or just cooling?

The outside unit on a heat pump should run with both heating and cooling.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
okay, I'll see if the outside unit comes on.

It also may have its own time delay. Initial power up time delays could be quite long! Let me know if it doesn't. If it doesn't, we may need to open the outdoor unit and see what's going on. A volt meter to measure 240 and 24 volts ac will come in very handy if we have to go that far.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The outside unit comes on when the thermostat switches to EM, which I think is emergency heat.

That's very odd indeed. They may have not used the colors that I anticipated. Would you be comfortable turning off power to the outdoor unit, removing the unit control panel cover and telling me how the field run thermostat wires are hooked up the factory wires in the outdoor unit? We may have to switch two wires at the thermostat. It kind of sounds like white and yellow are reversed.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Okay, I can do that and will send that info to you.

Very good, thanks. I will be here. Sorry for the trouble but we will get this figured out!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I looked at the outdoor unit. All of the wires coming from the thermostat appear to be in proper order-the right color wire to the same colored terminal. So, I have the unit on cool. I will let it run for awhile and see if the outdoor unit comes on.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'll let it run longer to see if it works. Is it possible to have something reversed, so that the condensing unit comes on when the furnace is on heating and stays off on cooling?

You haven't said what the model number of the outdoor unit is but a Rheem unit should have Red, Blue, Brown, Yellow and usually a purple. The wire colors should be color to color except for the factory purple wire which would go to the field installed white thermostat wire which should then go to the air handler and be connected to either the white wire with black stripe or a purple wire in the air handler if it exists there.

The fact that you had the outdoor unit run in emergency heat is very odd. The only terminal on the thermostat that the 24 volt power wire terminal R connects to when the system switch is set to emergency heat is Aux/E. Since I had you put white on Aux/E and the outdoor unit came on in emergency heat, that would lead me to believe the white thermostat wire was connected to the yellow factory wire in the outdoor unit. This is how I came to the idea that white and yellow may be reversed in the outdoor unit. If yellow was on yellow, red on red, brown on brown and blue on blue, the outdoor unit should be working in both cooling and heating. The factory purple wire in the outdoor unit may or may not be connected. It is not required and its only purpose is to bring on the auxiliary heat when the outdoor unit goes into defrost mode. That's why the white wire connected to Wht/Blk at the air handler and Aux/E at the thermostat should connect to the purple wire in the outdoor unit.

Hopefully I've given you enough info to ensure the system is wired correctly and not confused you too much! Heat pumps can certainly be a challenge to wire the low voltage circuit!

Good afternoon! I'm just checking in to see if you were able to resolve your issue? If you need more help, please let me know!

Thanks,

Brian