Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

BillyHvac I am pretty sure I did NOT connect the wire to my

Customer Question

Hello BillyHvac my name is***** am pretty sure I did NOT connect the wire to my thermostat right. I am hoping I can get some instruction/direction for what wire goes to what post. If I try to set the temp for the A/C it will NOT go below 73 degrees, yet the heat(well I know it goes as low as 63 degrees). Hopefully that offers some idea of what I did wrong
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK. It took me a while because I wanted to check a few things, forget everything prior to THIS message. This is what I have<check attached file, HVACtoSubmit.jpg>. The 2 arrows are pointing at the wires from the A/C unit which is located outside. The control panel is inside in the attic. The other 4 low wires go to the thermostat. Originally the Red Wire was connected to the Post (RH/R with a jumper to the RC). The Green Wire was connected to the Post (G). The White Wire was connected to the Post W1, and the Yellow Wire was connected to Post Y1. I think The Yellow Wire is suppose to go to the "O" Post.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. I am looking over your question now and will respond shortly.

If you have standard blower (furnace) with ac you appear to be wired correctly

Red to R

White to W

Yellow to Y

Green to G

Does the ac run just not under 73?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My apologies in advance if this response seems rude, you will just have to believe that when I am rude I am insulting to a degree that leaves NO DOUBT than my intention is to offend. With that.
Did you NOT read my description. I did mean to send a pic of the thermostat connections, but in my description I explained that was how the wires were connected(the same way as in your response). Additionally I included this in my FIRST sentence, "forget everything prior to THIS message". I probably should have stated to disregard all previous information and ONLY consider the following info. I would prefer to NOT request a refund, so maybe we can keep this dialogue OPEN for a few days and provide an opportunity to get to a point that will allow me to ask 1 or 2 specific questions. If that is NOT possible, it would seem a refund is fair being that your initial solution was to connect everything the way I said it had been connected.

I am am sorry for the apparent consternation. I did not ask what what terminals and colors. I confirmed. It was to steer you from your thought of the O terminal. There is NO question regarding wiring.

If you read my response it ended with a pertinent question.

"Does the AC just NOT run under 73"? But I will clarify..

Does the ac run ok over 73? At 73? And just not lower than 73?

As far as apologizing for a potential rude response, I am not offended at all.

I have dealt with the public for over 25 years as a State Licensed Contractor in 2 states. When people call me it is not to chat about the day. Something is broken or amiss.

There is nothing like a conversation with a customer n 100F with high humidity with a defective ac unit and the part takes a day or 2 to arrive.

AND those calls are over much more than $16

I have no issue leaving this open indefinitely so proceed at your own pace and ask what you need but be specific.

EX- It runs at 73 and above with no problem. But when it hits 73 on the thermostat the ac shuts off. Heat runs fine______ to _______. So at this point the question is why does my ac not cool lower than 73?

If you choose to close this request and be refunded the entire $16 just request so and I will forward to customer service.

I f you wish to continue just answer the question I asked in first reply and we will work toward a resolution.

Billy

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your response, I think we will work through this. The temperature issue was my mistake, and it was for the settings, sometimes I take for granted that the setting didn't change. Frequently I get "tunnel vision" when trying to find what is wrong with something and overlook what is literally 1/4 inch from what I am concentrating. So the 73 degrees in NOT an issue. As for only paying 16 dollars, I have NO PROBLEM paying for results.
I have narrowed the problem down. It is with the A/C. Whenever the A/C is used within the settings being "Auto"(Heat/AC) both available or just the AC by itself, the unit is short cycling. 2 to 3 secs. Compressor? The heater does seem to function without issue. I should also include that the heater is set to Auto with the thermostat set high enough so there is NO heat, but the fan continues to turn on. So whatever suggestion you have, if it solves the problem, is worth 3 times the current charge. At that rate
or a little higher, I would like call on you for any future issues. That is where we're at now.

Now we will start a process of elimination.

Please be patient with me as the terminology of the components can vary so lets get components out of the way and for the sake of elimination we will not be discussing heating (unless we have to add it later).

Your last response had a paragraph I would like to clarify.

"Whenever the A/C is used within the settings being "Auto"(Heat/AC) both available or just the AC by itself, the unit is short cycling. 2 to 3 secs. Compressor?"

When you say the UNIT is cycling. Does this mean the condenser which is outside that houses the compressor? The compressor only located in the bottom of the condensing unit outside? The entire outdoor unit compressor and fan.....OR

The indoor blower that runs when ac is on to blow cooling out of the register?

Once we are the same page this will go quickly.

Billy