Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

My AC isn't kicking on. The batteries were low in the

Customer Question

My AC isn't kicking on. The batteries were low in the thermostat so I replaced them but now it won't come on. The thermostat will click on then right back off again. We also replaced the fuses in the outdoor unit. Blower comes on for the fan but nothing else.
JA: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?
Customer: Think it's the thermostat. It was working fine before the battery ran out. There was some corrosion but it was minor and cleaned right off.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I don't know if I got the fuses back in the right direction. Can't tell if t matters
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 29 days ago.

Try turning the fuses around one at a time and see if that makes any difference.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
I have. It doesn't seem to.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 29 days ago.

Ok now how about the batteries are they new? Does the thermostat come on at all?

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 29 days ago.

I havent heard anything back from you I wanted to follow up with you and see how its going?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Sorry. I had tried to respond earlier. Not sure why it didn't submit what i entered. The batteries are new. I've switched them out again today just to be sure. The display lights up and it keeps time. When you change the mode to heat or cool, it clicks like it is coming on then clicks again a second later.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 28 days ago.

Ok so the clicking means its calling for the unit to come Give me a few minutes to look into something

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Any update? I've reset the thermostat as directed in the manual. Still just clicks on and off.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 24 days ago.

I see my reply from days ago did not go through . What I need you to do with the fuses is take them off one at a time and turn them around to see if that makes a difference. Just do one at a time though so in case its only one we can narrow it down. Have you checked to make sure the fuses you cleaned off are not blown?