Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I believe I blew a transformer when I tried to connect a new

Customer Question

Hello, I believe I blew a transformer when I tried to connect a new thermostat... It is for a Burnham boiler set up that also controls an a/c blower. It has a Honeywell Aquastat model L8148E that was replaced a few years ago. Is the transformer part of that Aquastat? thank you
JA: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?
Customer: Connecting the thermostat caused the problem and I believe it blew a transformer. Not sure how else to explain it...
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes ;) I'm pretty handy and have switched out the relays and aqua stat on another system previously
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I don't think so except the boiler Model is RV4NI-L2
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of you situation.

Ok, it sounds like you have an air handler with a hot water coil. If that's the case then the boiler does not control the the "blower". I need to know what you have for an air handler and any related controls not on the boiler itself. If you fried a transformer it's most likely associated with the air handler

Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

The blower is in the air handler

Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

Let me know when you have the info I need or if my assessment of your system seems to be off the mark

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok great. I will be calling you in a few mins. I will go get the model for the air handler now...
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

Ok, I have to leave for about an hour shortly. Just post the info here and I'll respond as soon as I get back.

Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

Also need any controls that might be associated with the air handler (it may be self contained so no outside controls)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Air handler is First & Co Part # 89F048H42, Model #48SHx4
the only other exterior controls look like relays see attached. I'll click on call me if you have time now. thx!
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry I have to leave shortly. I'll let you know when I get back.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sounds good. Appreciate the help! I am free most of the afternoon after 1:30.
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

I'm striking out finding any specs on this model. I'm going to open this up to my colleagues. Maybe one of them is familiar with this unit. If no one responds I'll get back to you if I find anything. Please don't respond (even to acknowledge this post)until you get a response from us. If you respond first it will only delay your answer.