Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

My AC unit seems to be resetting the thermostat so I checked

Customer Question

Hi My AC unit seems to be resetting the thermostat so I checked the inside unit checked for blown fuses and none then I turn the blower on and it's turning on...however the outside unit is not turning on I don't see the fan blowing and when I checked it I see to red lights flashing like sd1 and sd2...I had this happens before and the technician said that the little cable with the multiple wires was probably heating up and that it needed to be changed for 1500 so I said really...so I waited and went up in the attic and traced the wire nothing no nails on it etc it took me about 45 minutes and then the unit kicked in as normal it has been working for almost two months now but today the same thing...is the unit just iced up and needs to thawed?
JA: Soon. I'm trying to find the right HVAC Technician for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know.
Customer: Ty
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: I did the filter is about 2 months old thermo is new as well
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If it minor yes but all parts are still under warranty from that same company I just don't trust them
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: That's it
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 2 months ago.

Hello, since this happened before look for the wire connections that you were involved with, including gang connectors and replug them

The tech was out of line with his overheated cable remark.

These intermittent electrical problems can be nightmares, if it is not solidly failed when a tech arrives locating the problem can be next to impossible.

If you want to work with me on this without a time limit rate my answer so far positively, lacking that I can spend hours or days with a customer at my own huge loss. Or I can opt out, Let me know