Airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.

Dual HVAC systems on which they ACTUALLY on both units will

Customer Question

Dual HVAC systems on which they ACTUALLY on both units will not turn on at all. An inspector showed it was "pulling no amps." Additionally, he said the thermostat inside was nonfunctional. This is a house we are selling and need to get it running as cheaply as possible. The inspector said replace both and thermostat at a cost of $10K. We simply cannot do this. Have you any suggestions, please? The house is in Andrews, SC and nearly impossible to sell w/o functioning AC
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Airheatman replied 1 month ago.

First step is going to be to get an actual ac person out to troubleshoot to see what is necessary to possibly get the units running.Inspectors usually know very little about air conditioning other than they work or they don't.

If you have refrigerant gauges an a multi meter I will be happy to help you troubleshoot.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He was an AC technician.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Unfortunately, I am over 750 mi away, as we have moved. We are really needing to sell this house.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
His only "suggestion" was let me replace both for a cost of over $10K which we cannot do. My dad is a lincensed HVAC contractor, but he is over 800 mi away.

My suggestion is to Google or look in phone book under eating and ac contractors in the area where the home is located and contact one of them to do a ac checkout to see what really needs to be done. This could be as simple as defective thermostat to an electrical issue to worse case scenario,defective compressors.

I definitely would not take an inspector's word that units need to be replaced.

Is there anyone close enough to the home that might be able to do some troubleshooting with my guidance?If so I would be happy to tell them where to start.Otherwise Recommendation is as mentioned.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.