Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  I have been an HVAC/R mechanic/technician for 30+ years.
67988511

What do you think the reasonable life expectacy of a Trane

Customer Question

What do you think the reasonable life expectacy of a Trane rotary 100 ton chiller should be?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: I represent a church and we've been told that the useful life is between 10 & 15 years.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: no with a HVAC Company
JA: Are you an HVAC professional?
Customer: no represent the church
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: just an answer to my original question about the life expectancy.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Brian HVAC Guy replied 2 months ago.

Hi Kirk, I'm Brian and I'm here to help!

That depends on what model chiller you have. Is the chiller air or water cooled? In other words do you have a cooling tower outside and the chiller inside with water piping running between them or is the chiller a packaged system contained 100% outside with large air coils to cool the refrigerant?

Further, if you have an air cooled packaged chiller system, the life expectancy will be affected by your geographic location. For instance if you are near a salt water coast, the life expectancy of an air cooled chiller goes down dramatically.

But to answer your initial question without knowing the particulars, an air cooled package chiller used for comfort cooling (not a process chiller in industrial use) should have a life expectancy of 20 years (more with rigid preventative maintenance). If it is installed near a salt coast you can take 5 years off that value. A water cooled chiller should have a life expectancy of 30 years. However its cooling tower outside may not last as long, especially if you're near a salt coast.

Under NO circumstance should a 100 ton chiller for comfort cooling have a life expectancy of only 10 years!

Let me know if you have further questions on this subject. Otherwise, please remember to rate before leaving (3 stars or higher please!). Bonuses are always appreciated! And remember, follow up questions about this topic are free even after rating. Just post a new reply on this same question and I'll be notified. Thanks for allowing me to help and thanks for using Just Answer!

Thank you,
Brian

If you saw that errant post, sorry, it was meant for another customer!