Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I decided to make popcorn on the stove in a pan and I

Customer Question

Hi Mike, I decided to make popcorn on the stove in a pan and I noticed the burner was on low but the flame seemed to be much higher than it should have. I went to turn the burner and there is no resistance, it was loose so needless to say I couldn't shut the flame off but did get it very low. I didn't know what to do so I blew out the flame and unplugged the stove. I smell a faint smell of gas so not sure if the gas is totally shut off after I unplugged the stove. Of course, it's a Sunday night at 11:30. Does the gas automatically go off when the stove is unplugged?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing and repair field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. The gas should stop when the pilot is blown out. Did it seem that the knob is stripped or loose? There is no urgency to getting it shut off or lit as long as something is done this evening. It would have to leak for hours for it to be a hazard and we will certainly figure it out very soon.