Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a Carrier A/C. THermostat is set for 73, but indoor

Customer Question

I have a Carrier A/C. THermostat is set for 73, but indoor temp stuck at 80/81. outdoor unit fan running all day, but not cooling. A/c unit is only 2 years old.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 2 months ago.

Feel of the large copper line at outdoor unit and tell me if it is beer can cold and sweating? We will go from here.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is.

OK great. if that line is cold, the outdoor unit is fine.Lets look at a couple of things.

1.Check indoor filter and make sure it is clean.

2.Ceck temperature of air at filter and air at register using a thermometer. We should have 17 to 20 degree cooler at register.

Let me know about these and we will go from here.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We have several ceiling air intake vents (three upstairs, two downstairs). I changed all those filters last week. Is that what you're referring to, or is there a separate filter? Also, is that the same as the air filter you describe in question 2?

Usually there is one large filter and grille at the indoor unit.Do you a have one large grill close to the unit? Pics might help me