Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I currently have a Carrier ComfortZone II zone system with 3

Customer Question

Hello,I currently have a Carrier ComfortZone II zone system with 3 zones that was put in in 2008.
The system works fine - but I dislike the main control thermostat, as my wife is the only one that can figure it out. With the advent of more automated climate options (ipad app) I looking to upgrade this. Since the Carrier zoning system is proprietary, I know I will have to change that out. I've been told to look at the Honeywell True Zone. After doing research online, it seemsCan you please confirm the products I should be ordering. To replace the Carrier Comfort Zone II, I will be switching out the with the Honeywell True Zone (HZ432) (please confirm I shouldn't be using the HZ322). I've attached a picture of my current unit's control panel. Do I need just the panel, if I am using the ecobee 3 thermostats? Or should I get the kit? Also, do I need the honeywell wireless module with the ecobees? And if I have three wired thermostats, will I need three ecobee thermostats or just the sensors?Also, it was suggested that the actuator also be replaced. The previous thread I read had an issue with the switch over - the Carrier system only powered the actuators for a bit, then stopped, but the newer panels like TruZone are continuously powered. This seems like it is going to burn out the Carrier actuators. The response was "At certain times they would drive all closed just to make sure of each motors position. And yes the main controllers were a pain to use and the most of them are not able to be bought new. I thought you could use the small Belimo24v vav box motors on there as a replacement with a new zoning panel." Can you confirm specifically what actuator I should purchase?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Brian HVAC Guy replied 2 months ago.

Hi Luke, Brian here. This is obviously a duplicate question. I'll post my response on the other question.

Thanks,

Brian

Also, can you tell me the diameter of the damper shaft on your existing dampers please?