Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a rheem water heater and just received a new anode,

Customer Question

I have a rheem water heater and just received a new anode, t&P valve and plastic discharge at bottom. cracked it last night to open and opened a hot water valve in house. It seems that the tank is still full of water and is heavy as can be?
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: unit is just out of warranty and was purchased in 2007. started making some rhythmic noise a few days ago. T&P valve was leaking, drip, drip, drip constant, thought it would be good time to replace anode. The plastic discharge faucet is cheap, bought it too.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yep
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No, can't imagine water is not emptying from tank......
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

It's not uncommon for tanks that have never been flushed to have sediment build up in the bottom of the tank to the point where they won't drain out. One thing you can try is you hook a hose onto the drain valve then open the drain and turn the water back on to the tank. The water pressure might get the flow going and flush out enough of the sediment so the tank can drain.