airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

Our flashing code is 4, can you help us find out what is

Customer Question

our flashing code is 4
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: can you help us find out what is wrong with this Tappan furnace. 80+90+93+ is written on the wiring harnesss
JA: Did you check the furnace's filters?
Customer: yes just replaced the filter I just bought this house, it was uninhabited for 4 years and before that the furnace may have not been used as there is evidence the previous owner used his wood burning furnace to heat the house
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: my father is doing it
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: it did start up a month ago when tested and heated the rooms upstairs. then we havent used it in a month and it lights but only stays lit for 3 seconds
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I thought there was an HVAC service man available
Expert:  airheatman replied 7 months ago.

I will be happy to help.

1.Do you have a meter for troubleshooting

2.

Can you give me complete model from inside furnace in burner compartment so I can provide guidance with this specific unit.Model will be on a label just above burners on right or left inside panel

http://i.imgur.com/U8b0GXT.jpg

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
903022T
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is that the right number?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
FG6000091496
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
903022F was the other number
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
hello

Looking up furnace now. Turn power off to furnace then back on.Tell me if you immediately get an error with thermostat in OFF position.Then call for heat and tell me if furnace does anything at all.

Tell me if you see a number on label with a letter after the 6

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
FG6RA

Thanks for this information. Now Turn power off to furnace then back on.Tell me if you immediately get an error with thermostat in OFF position.Then call for heat and tell me if furnace does anything at all.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Nothing with thermostat off. When called for heat- 4 blinks. It starts but the gas only ignites for 3 seconds

According to my troubleshooting guide, the 4 blinks indicates an ignition failure and says check for furnace ground.

First thing we want to do is make sure the ground wire is secured firmly to cabinet of furnace where power comes in and if there is aground wire on gas valve.Make sure it is clean and secure. We will go from there.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ground is good on both ends. Getting a tester to make sure other wires have full voltage

OK if voltage and grounds are good,

Next let's check to see if the flame sensor is clean.

It will be a small metal rod which sticks in front of burner to sense the flame.It will have a single red wire from board to flame sensor.

Remove it and clean it with emory cloth ,fine sand paper or a dollar bill. See links below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwR9qL4lnk

http://i.imgur.com/pUO5kgO.png

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Just replaced the flame sensor!

OK Going to either be bad connection or failing control board. I would unplug all wires and reconnect one at a time to board and gas valve just to make sure they have not built up oxidation and are making good connection.If all are good, replace board.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How much is the board? And is it stocked somewhere?

Local Nordyne distributor will have it or you can order online.

What is complete model on furnace?