HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

I have red, blue, orange, and black wire for thermostat. On

Customer Question

I have red, blue, orange, green and black wire for thermostat. On the new Honey well thermostat I have C connection, G connection, Y connection, W connection,. Which colour wire connects to each connection? I know the black wire is the hot wire or R Connection. Please help as soon as possible.
The Totaline thermostat I removed, has the connection labels behind the wires and is white on white; very hard to see until you remove the thermostat and see it up close.
Also I turned off all breakers and thermostat remained live.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 2 months ago.

Hello, one minute while I get some information together.

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am HVAC Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Answer:

It sounds like this thermostat may not work, based on the wiring you have listed that would be a heat pump unit and the connections on the thermostat do not support a heat pump so you may need a different thermostat to make this work.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me!.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!