airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

Rheem raka-024ja external fuse/breaker keeps tripping

Customer Question

rheem raka-024ja external fuse/breaker keeps tripping
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 8 months ago.

Most likely an issue with compressor or capacitor. Do you have a meter that reads uf(microfarads) so we can check capacitor?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I actually do not have a meter. The outside unit was not working and I checked 'under the hood' and thought it may be the capacitor. I checked the low voltage wiring, turned all breakers and rewired the voltage and it worked until later today.

The only way to really eliminate capacitor being issue is to find out it's condition. Does it look puffy swollen or oil at all?http://i.imgur.com/xwlfLe8.png

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No, clean and no oil or swollen/puffy

How about the three compressor wires .at contactor, at capacitor and where they connect to compressor.Any burned marks?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No burns at the capacitor or any where else.

I think my first step would be to get a meter that reads capacitance or take capacitor and have it checked. Otherwise start b replacing capacitor as cost about 15 bucks.

If you have further questions, please let me know.

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.

To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page.