Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

I have an Arcoaire unit. Have to put a jumper from r to y on

Customer Question

I have an Arcoaire unit. Have to put a jumper from r to y on the board to get it to come on. But I don't think it cycles like that
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?
Customer: Filter is good. This is my parents house. They've got a fancy programmable thermostat. I got a basic Honeywell at home depot last night. Put it on and got heat. Tried switch both ways( gas,heat pump).
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Well, I had a guy come look at it. He did the jumper wire deal but I know it doesn't need to run continuously. I'm not sure that he's sure.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The original thermostat had a gray wire to ground, green wire to g, the fan, sound right?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Brian HVAC Guy replied 1 month ago.

Hi I'm Brian and I'm here to help!

So just so I understand, the indoor blower and the outdoor unit both work fine but only if overridden with a jumper, correct? Are there any safety devices attached to the unit? Drain pan switch etc...?