airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I have a goodman heat pump PGBQ36075-1A....trying to wire up

Customer Question

Hello...I have a goodman heat pump PGBQ36075-1A....trying to wire up a Honeywell
Thermostat RTH6500WF
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. I am looking over your question now and will respond shortly.

First I need how many wires were attached to the old thermostat.

What color was on what terminal?

Thermostat wire colors vary so I need the old terminal placement.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Red white yellow green......
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The red has a jumper between. ..RH and RC
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The new thermostat has no RH & RC
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
G went to green.......y went to yellow.....w went to white
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Red went to RH and RC

sorry for delay I just saw your response and am working on it

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Check

does your terminal block in new thermostat look like this

Click Here

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it does

sorry that the site is slow...I am drawing you a plan

we have all we need except a C wire....do you have an extra wire in cable not used?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Check I'll wait

Other wires HERE...unless you do not have an extra wire for C then we need to switch some things at thermostat AND in the unit.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
orange blue and black......my guess is black is C......for common ground

Ok what you need to do is pick blue or black and put on C.....then go to the ac unit at the other end of the thermostat wire....and put that wire on C. So lets say it is black.

Black on C at thermostat and black on C in unit. Make sure unit is powered down

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Well sorry ol buddy this is where you lost me....took off the panel on the outside unit.....no small wires like come in the house

Follow the thermostat wires. At the unit follow where the power wires enter...or you can take pics and post here using attach files link and I can direct....we are almost there..

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No small wires exit the unit......only number 10 stranded wires exit by way of conduit.....I don't see any small wires in the unit
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Solid number 22 wires in the house.....what do you think about a volt meter between red and black in the house
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Or red and blue in the house

See Here

did you see a circuit board in the unit?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
By the way no reading between red and black or red and blue

excellent.....on this circuit board will have to be terminals just like on the thermostat.

Can you show me a pic of the circuit board?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'll have to take it apart again...
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There they are
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
In house

Got it.....this unit used wires from the plug on the board....just a sec

the plug with like 9 wires on the board...follow the red wire..does it go to a wire nut connection?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Red wire runs to transformer

ok we are so close...see here to find various C terminals....any wire of the terminal marked is a common you can use or tap into

and HERE explains the plug on that board...we only want that to follow back to thermostat wires to find your available black

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Here's where you lost me.....I followed the gray transformer wire to a big really....there are several grounds there......but don't see where to find the small wires that run in to the house

On this drawing look where marked "thermostat".

Those wires on that drawing go to that plug. There are 2 reds in the plug and you already found one goes to transformer. Then on drawing you will see Y and G and W.

The y and W also go to this plug....those wires have to attach to our thermostat wire. So follow the other red, yellow or white from the plug to where they connect...and will be our thermostat wires.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There are no small wires on or around outside unit....or circuit board....otherwise. I could retire what you're talking about

ok do this.....the wire on the drawing that goes from THERMOSTAT I marked....follow that and tell me or show me what it attaches to. They could have spliced different wire to go outside..but we still know it is thermostat wire.

So show me where that yellow or second red lead to....

not the plug end..we are following it backwards...away from plug

I have to clear out some downloads so will be about 5 min

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok got it......they only ran number 10 stranded wires from that plug to more number 10 wires...I can see them taped together.....what I don't see is where they go....and where they conect to the set of small wire.....other then crawling under the house to maybe finding the small wires....it's dark here...and I get up at 3:00 in the morning for work....one last idea from your end and I'm in bed

the bad news,,,,you have to find the splice where it converts from what you see at he thermostat to what ends up at unit.

I will check back with you tomorrow.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm so glad we can do that....how do we
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok contact me tomorrow about 5:30...***-***-****
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
either here or the phone
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Coz I don't know how to get with you again
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello....hello
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Well I have to get to bed.....hope to hear from you tomorrow

Ok, if you have access from either end of the wire....somewhere between the thermostat and the unit the wire changes with a splice. So it looks like you would have to start in the crawl space where the thermostat wire drops down...find where it comes through floor into crawl space.. then follow to the splice. See if the black or blue is even hooked up...and if not you will need to splice that in...then attach that wire in unit to where I described.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok I'm home...14 hours in a log truck....I don't think I'll be going under the house tonight....so how long do we have to work this out....

as long as you have the patience to put up with me.

I dont think I want to work with you after 14 hr log hauling...how about another day?

This can go hrs, days, weeks....they are all different.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
They ? What are all different

I meant the projects we get here...some take a few minutes and others take a month...so do not feel in a hurry.

Just let me know as you make progress

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok great..we will get it I'm sure

just the daily check in..no need to respond if your not ready

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Haven't finished yet....will call again hen I crawl under the house....haven't forgot you...just very busy.....I see they took my money....so hang on
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When I get time we will finish were NOT done
Just respond when ready.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Crawled under the house.....I don't think I'm ready to pull down any insulation....I didn't see the wires.... measured from the wall to the thermostat went back underneath measured from the wall to the crawlspace don't really think I should pull down any insulation departed though around the measurement area don't see the wires but for now I'm done breathe in the insecticide powder I'll get back to you
Expert:  airheatman replied 3 months ago.

Looks like your expert has opted out.I am Tim and I will take over from here.I have read your previous dialogue and see that at this point you do not see the control wires between units without pulling down insulation.I totally understand you not wanting to do that.

There are two very simple options here. Our issue is that the new thermostat requires a C wire where old one did not.

Since we know the current wires worked before all we really need is to get you a C wire from unit to thermostat

One solution is to buy a piece of 18/2 control wires from Lowes and run it between thermostat and unit .Connect to C on thermostat and blue as shown in picture below.

The other solution is to purchase an add a wire adapter as shown at this link:

http://smartthermostatguide.com/c-wire-venstar-add-a-wire-adapter-review/

You can order it here

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013LVDQA/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=99591324911&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2766850017103369189&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9012943&hvtargid=kwd-197439226871&ref=pd_sl_738bqpzb1l_b

Let me know and we can go from here. After we are done you can rate answer or rate when ready and we have 30 days to work on this at no additional fee.

On the link to the add a wire solution watch the video.If you decide to go that route I will be happy to guide you as I know you do not have the terminal block in your unit.Just let me know.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Here's the problem.....there is stranded single wires taped to the wires coming off the board plug......I don't find the 7 wire group that comes out of the wall in the house.....when they put the unit in ......my guess is....the didn't have the length of 7 wire to reach the main unit.....so.....they spliced in single wires to reach the 7 wire group......or I would have done what the other tech said......witch was to come off the transformer (gray) wire and tie in to the black wire in the group

OK everything was working with everything wired as it is with old thermostat other than having a wire from C, correct?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
As you can see there is already a two wire set coming through the wall.....I don't see these wires at the main unit ....I thought we needed a ground back to the main unit....NOT power....what voltage do I need

all we need is a "24 volt common wire" not a ground. The old thermostat did not need a 24v complete circuit to thermostat as it was battery powered.

Here is how it works,

Your transformer sends 24 volts out through 2 wires (HOT and COMMON).The common goes to all 24 v relays (fan, gas valve, outdoor contactor etc) at all times.

The HOT goes to R at thermostat

Thermostat is basically a "light switch" opening and closing circuits.

On call for HEAT R and W closes the circuit to gas valve

On call for AC , R ,G and Y should all close sending circuit to blower and outdoor unit

On call for FAN R and G should close the circuit to blower

Now the new thermostat just like relays ,contactor. etc requires a COMMON.

Can you run anew wire from thermostat to the unit?

If you are unable to run new wire to C , the simplest thing to do is going to be to buy that adapter I mentioned, Forget tracing or trying to figure out all of the other wires,as they were working as they were.

THis gray wire is where we will pick up C.

et me a better pic of the 9 wires going to plug an dI will tell you which goes to what on thermostat

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Won't happen today.....13 hours in a old truck.....I'll try it this weekend....hopefully

No problem just touch base every day if you can so question stays open

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can't touch base everyday....sorry....I'm not even home everyday.....bet I will when I'm thinking about it....I might have time tomorrow after Church

That is fine.Just if question goes without a positive rating and no correspondence it times out.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We can only do our best.....Billy (the first helper) told me he would be there till we had it.....I hope we don't get in a have to mode....

I understand. Just come back when ready.If question times out, your deposit will be on hold.You can start a new question if it does, explaining what you have covered.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello....after months....I have the common wire wired up to the thermostat......now we're down to makin sure