BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

Installing a new thermostat for a heat pump. It's a

Customer Question

Installing a new thermostat for a heat pump. It's a Honeywell rth7500d. Problem is I have 10 wires coming out of the wall and not sure where they all match up.
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We have W, W2, Y, O, G, R, coming out of black wire in the wall and R, Y2, Black, and G coming out of the white wire in the wall
Expert:  Sean replied 9 months ago.

Jen, I am a expert here, Your question has been reported, This can be quite difficult when you start having this many wires, What kind of thermostat did you remove?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It was an old hai rc100 thermostat
Expert:  Sean replied 9 months ago.

Im looking now. Did you remove all the wires?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We put the labels on when removing. The g listed above was in the F slot.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The green wire was attached to the f port on the thermostat I mean.
Expert:  Sean replied 9 months ago.

Im looking at old thermostat manual now, I see no F slot, i am not familiar with the Hai rc100 t-stat Im going to opt out and let another professional help, I know from experience where most of the wires go but regarding the few I don't it can cause issues if there placed wrong and Im not wanting to take that chance

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok thanks.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 9 months ago.

My name is Billy.

Very simply, on the older thermostats F meant FAN...which is what the G terminal/green wire does.. So Old F = New G.

What other wires do you need help with?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have too many wires basically. There are 2 main cords coming out of wall. 1 has 4 wires (red, green, black, white). Other has 6 wiresRed marked r
Green marked f
Orange marked o
White marked c (it was in the c slot per the wiring they had)
Yellow marked y
Sort of brown/cream marked w2
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
New thermostat has 9 slots

Ok,

out of all those wires..how many were actually hooked up?

Most of the time there are extra wires in the cables.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
All of them. Looks like a blue is not used on the one side. I didn't count that one.

I understand now.

You have dual stage cooling and multistage heat. The thermostat you have (rth7500) will not accommodate all the features you have on your system.

So we have 2 choices....dumb the system down by combining features or get a new thermostat capable of multiple stages.

Example...you have 2 stages cooling...we would have to dumb the unit down and put 2 wires from 2 stages together to make one stage....I do not recommend doing this but it is an option.

You will need a thermostat that says 2h/2c...and one with emergency heat capability.

So basically your system has more features than the 7500 can provide for.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok. Makes sense. I think we would prefer to get a new thermostat. If we have access to all those features, seems silly to take them away.Really appreciate the information and you help. You probably saved me hours of running in circles.Thanks!

You are very welcome and you are making the right choice.

If you have questions when you get the new thermostat let me know.

Make sure new thermostat is :

Heat pump compatible

Has emergency heat option

2 stage heat and 2 stage cool at a minimum.

If you see 3 and 4 stage that is fine...we just do not use the extra staging. Just rate service to close

Billy