Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Where can I get some info about drywall with fiberglass in

Customer Question

Where can I get some info about drywall with fiberglass in it? After cutting through a ton in our house we figured out that our ceilings have it in it. Wondering if this is dangerous to our family as we've unknowingly exposed ourselves to it for the last week. Is it normal practice to use this material in a single family home? Thank you for your time.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Neither material is considered hazardous but both are irritants. So unless a family member is experiencing itching or breathing issues I wouldn't worry about it. A good air filter will eventually remove what's airborne.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
You have dealt with fiberglass dust? It's not hazardous? Also is it a bad sign that my house was built with such drywall? I've lived many other places and never seen fiberglass in the drywall
Expert:  Rick replied 3 months ago.

Yes in 40+ years of building and remodeling I've dealt with a lot of fiberglass dust and yes fiberglass is not hazardous.