Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

Maybe, since closing on the house. The prior homeowners took

Customer Question

JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: since closing on the house. The prior homeowners took the Nest thermostat. The AC worked for the inspection, but now it does not. I got a new thermostat thinking that might be the problem, but the unit still isn't turning on
JA: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?
Customer: I don't think it's the thermostat. I looked for a reset button, but I couldn't locate it. It' an older unit, but it was serviced prior to purchase and found to be in good working order
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I like to troubleshoot first, then call if there isn't an easy solution
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I don't think so
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did shut off power to the house as well to see if it would reset
Expert:  Phil replied 1 month ago.

Hello, these thermostats are *not always easily interchanged. there is most likely just a wiring error. Diagnosing the wide range of potential errors for a layman can be a lot more work than your skill sets might be up to.

There can also be complications at the units mother board.

Tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest town or city if you would like be to get you a short list of well rated outfits.

Expert:  Phil replied 1 month ago.

The thermostats have to be selected for each type of system..If the power is not turned off when replacing or removing a thermostat, an electrical short can be created that blows the internal fuse on the printed circuit board or the 24 volt transformer entirely.

There are no reset buttons that address any of these things. There is also the issue of probable needed maintenance on the system that can be a complication

We can go from here as needed

Expert:  Airheatman replied 1 month ago.

Can you tell me what model on new thermostat is and model on your indoor and outdoor units?