Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

Natural gas hot water heater - pilot light is on and we are

Customer Question

natural gas hot water heater - pilot light is on and we are not getting any hot water. Although pilot light is on, the water heater isn't firing up. The model number is ***** The Instructional sticker on tank indicates that if the flashing red light is flashing 10 times and then pausing, then you need to "clean burner screen". Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be anyway to get to the burner screen. Can you help?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

You have to remove the burner to clean the screen. But you can try resetting the gas valve first which might solve the problem. To do this turn the temp knob to OFF then disconnect the plug on the bottom of the gas valve from the thermopile. Then wait 3 minutes and plug it back in then relight the pilot.

Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

There are 2 female spade type thermopile connectors on the bottom of the gas valve.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

Sorry only got 1 word in your last response

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thermobile, is that the gas line connected to the hot water heater?
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

No the thermopile is the flame sensor in the pilot flame. Like I said in a previous response there are 2 female wire connectors on the bottom of the gas control valve (where you adust the water temp). That what you have to disconnect.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can you describe them. There seels to be two sets of double wire connections and how do you disconnect them?
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

The 2 connectors are separate and on the right side of the gas valve. NOTE which color goes on which post so you put them back on the right terminal. They just pull straight (down) off.

Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

Red & White wires

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Neither seems to want to come out?
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

Red should be on the left and white on the right. You might need needle nose pliers to pull them off. If you can't get them off there's nothing else you can do by yourself.

Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

Do you have any more questions?