Airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.

I have a Honeywell thermostat. Flashing "cool on". About

Customer Question

I have a Honeywell thermostat. Flashing "cool on". About every 5 minutes the outside unit kicks on for a few seconds and back off. Ideas?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Airheatman replied 1 month ago.

For some reason we are losing 24 volts to the thermostat. Most common reason is a stopped up drain with a float switch.Lets start by looking to see if you have afloat switch in main drain.If so lift the float and see if we can get unit to stay on.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Float switch seems fine. Water bubbling under it. No other water in site. Stays running with float switch removed from its place.

Do you have an air tank you can blow drain out with. Sounds like we have a partial blockage. AS water seeps out, float allows unit to come back on. The flashing is a time delay so that everytime it shuts off and back on we have a delay before outside comes back on.As soon as it comes on and starts making water float trips it again.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hard to get to with air. I can suck from outside drain with a shop vac. I've seen that done before and it worked for years.

Let me know if that solves .

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Like a boss!

If you have further questions, please let me know.

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.

To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page.