Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

We have a diesel boiler that is supposed to not only heat

Customer Question

We have a diesel boiler that is supposed to not only heat water, but also heat the home. We purchased this 4K sq. ft., two-story home (northern California) a little over 2 years ago, and we are still learning about how things work here - including this boiler. We assume that it was installed in the early 1980's. It is in need of repair, and we have had several people out to look at the situation, most are either not familiar with diesel boilers, or just not huge fans of that technology. We would like to upgrade this system. We received a quote to replace the existing boiler with a Weil-McLain WTGO-4 unit. The cost of this unit (internet search) is around $2,300, yet the quote that we have received is $13,000. We will be meeting with this person for more clarification on what his estimate includes, but we are really in the dark about whether this estimate is reasonable. We have decided that we would like to stay with the diesel boiler. Can you give me your thinking on this?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

The installed cost seems a bit high but there are a number of factors that would influence the price. First is where you live. Plumbing labor costs in Northern CA are some of the highest in the country. How many zones the system has also impacts the price. With a 4,000 sq ft house I'd expect many zones and consequently a lot of piping. The Weil Boiler you mention is a good one and is probably about 10% more efficient than what you have now. Diesel boiler is a very general term. If you want some input on the boiler you have now I'd need a brand and model number.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

Do you have any more questions?